Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observatory in Kirkintilloch

LongJohn54

Whilst the plan was for me to build a deck in the garden health events overtook me and it was no longer going to be possible.  I have an inherited condition which is monitored each year and my tests in late 2017 showed a significant change.  More scans in February 2018 showed even more change and I was advised to take it easy.  When your consultant looks you in the eye and says 'No lifting and carrying' it's silly to ignore him.

We called in the builders to do the job and this is the result.  A maintenance free composite deck and new paving as well.  Must say it all looks great and is much better than I could have done.

The form work for the deck is actually fixed to the obsy joists (which I had asked not to happen) so the obsy is supporting part of the deck.  I'm rather glad I over specified the foundation blocks and joists.   Everything is still rigid and there has been no settlement in the last year.

large.Deck1.jpg.8fbb5487365fe432b9f1370747103ea2.jpg

large.Deck2.jpg.20e4a1878efadda75f2eb04424f0e088.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Inside the obsy the has been one change.  The led bulbs are never more than dim at their brightest.  I wanted a brighter light for general use and the ability to take Flats would be useful.     I had looked at led panels and priced up some diy options but eventually I decided on a FLOALT lightbox from Ikea. https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/lighting/ceiling-lights/floalt-led-light-panel-w-wireless-control-dimmable-white-spectrum-art-40332210/

It was a reasonable price and came with a remote too.  I can set the light from dim to bright and the colour from 2700K which is more yellow than incandescent bulbs to 6000K which is a fairly harsh white.
The lightbox is fixed at an angle which makes it parallel to the scope so my flats are evenly lit.  The scope now has three parking positions; Home, Horizontal and now Flats.

large.Lightbox.jpg.b414760b433cb4cbe2cc8c51192be045.jpg

1 hour ago, LongJohn54 said:

Thanks for the kind comments.   There will be images!  Just got to wait for some decent nights though.  Sadly Louise, I get the same unclear skies as Glasgow.

I reckon both the clouds and the lp here have got worse since I started in 2014. I frequently feel like giving up on it but somehow I've stubbornly clung on - probably in vain...

Louise

Archived