Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bunch (18?) galaxies in 16 minutes AstroToaster

Howie_Oz

Don't post much on here, but enjoy the reads! Thought I'd make you all envious of Aussie country skies! Live in suburban Brisbane which is red zone, but a couple of months ago I was at a townhouse complex in a "dark green" LP zoned township. Green zzone but surrounding areas were pitch black being in central queensland australia. Amazing what you can do with your scope pointing at dark skies. The link below is to a 16 minute live HD desktop capture so use the YouTube settings cog to (a) speed up to 2x normal speed so its only 8 minutes long; (b) set the highest quality setting of 720p; (c) watch in full screen mode. 

All were a single frame iso800 sixty second shot on each galaxy. Zero stacking. Zero post processing ... it's a live desktop capture of the laptops screen. The 16 minutes includes me selecting targets, putting them into the hand control, the mount slewing to those targets, and also the shot time. The red "vignetting" patch is the townhouse complexes security lighting bouncing off the Newts tube (no LP shield) and also cos I used Toasters Expand Grad at 6 where I normally use only 3. But it's EAA not AP so I don't mind those sorts of aberations. Having said its EAA, well normally I shoot an object then spend the next 10 minutes looking up its details on SkySafari and marvelling at its stats and science. You'll glimpse a whole bunch of previous shots in the file list in the video which I'd gone to in the evening. But, I had a few minutes left before packing it in for the evening so grabbed the desktop capture so I could recall those wonderful skies in the future by re-watching the video, so I simply moved from object to object in very quick succession.

Makes one want to retire somewhere with dark skies nearby!

Used were full spectrum modded Canon 650d, HEQ5 Pro with Rowan belt drive, Skywatcher 200p f/5 Newtonian, bootcamped Macbook Pro (2009 model) running Canon EOS Utilities to control the camera lodging S1 fine Jpegs into Astrotoasters monitor folder. ShareX used to capture the desktop video.

Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/ICxv8eV_JYk 

Archived