Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Kit Curse

astro_al

I was just marvelling at the fact that I received new kit today and the sky is clear! Should have known better. Bought a new Televue 25mm Plossl and it is horrible :sad:. In my F7.5 scope at 23x the moon turns into an egg as it moves off axis. Never had a problem with a Televue eyepiece before, but I suppose there is a first time for everything. I did notice that someone has put a cross on the label on the box, I wonder if that's because it has been identified as faulty before. Back in its box ready to be returned. Annoying. 

Annoying, I know from experience. Like a cooky jar just out of reach. Hopefully the vendor made an honest mistake (if it was a returned item) and doesn't do this out of habit.

Does the target come to focus at the edge?

I have a TV Plossl 20mm which also showed the Moon like you describe. Unfortunately, the Moon does not come to focus at the edge. In any case, it is wise to return it! 

41 minutes ago, Piero said:

Does the target come to focus at the edge?

I have a TV Plossl 20mm which also showed the Moon like you describe. Unfortunately, the Moon does not come to focus at the edge. In any case, it is wise to return it! 

No, it doesn't come to focus at the edge, or near the edge. On axis it is very sharp though, but I have an undriven mount so I soon notice the loss of focus. I swapped in a 17.3 Delos which was perfect across the entire FOV. Different designs I know, but I wasn't expecting the level of curvature that the Plossl displayed.

Archived