Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Modified DSLR for widefield imaging - Yes or No

I have a modified Canon DSLR (basic mod, i.e. rear filter removal) as well as a higher specified unmodified one.

I intend to do some widefield imaging using conventional camera lenses including some very wideangle imaging on a Star Adventurer mount.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage in using the modified camera for these purposes or am I better sticking to the unmodified one?

Many thanks

David

The basic mod you mention will only enhance the Ha response and give better results on extended objects.

With good standard lenses CA shouldn't be a major problem - certainly give it a go.....

(Note: you may need an additional clip in filter - either a UV-IR or plain to achieve good focus with standard lenses. I use an Astronomik Clear clip-in with my modded 450D)

I think it would be worth trying both.  

I have done some wide field (200mm lens) with my astro modded Canon 700 (a couple below) and rather like the enhanced red that the extra Ha gives, but as I have never had an unmodded DSLR, can't offer a fair comparison.  (Also I am still learning how to capture and process) 

large.57de58e2bffb4_Sadirregion.jpg.5c9f

and

medium.56f7aa0fcee3a_Orionwidefld.jpg.42

Archived