Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

An appeal on behalf of millions...(well maybe not quite that many!)

EA2007

Hey kids,

As the title of this post suggests I am writing to appeal to the many astronomers out there who may like to submit any images or news etc to my (slightly) new website:

http://northyorksastro.googlepages.com/

Having had a 'invisible hit counter' placed on the website I have found that in the last few days there have been a healthy number of visits from across the U.K. This is something I find quite interesting as the website is only really aimed at north yorkshire's astro community, but the site has been getting hits from London, Gloucester and other areas.

Keep it up!

The bad news is that although the website is up and running and contains quite a good amount of info, the image gallery is quite deplete of any pictures, as is the section on 'dark sky locations' so I would ask any member to kindly donate some pics for me to post up of the webby. I would also like to ask for any information to be given on observing sites so I can post that up aswell (kinda like a mini 'Iseedarkskies' for North Yorkshire).

Like I said the website is running but there are some sections which are quite bare, so please help.

You can e-mail me at northyorksastro@googlemail.com or fire me a pm on here either will be great

Thankyou please!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fishing for replies to your thread/website on another board? Some places would ban you for that. Fortunately, I don't have the power. Take what you get and be happy with it.

Thats a bit harsh!! The guys only asking for some help! Maybe he should of asked for permission first , but still doesn't warrant a reply like that!

EA2007 try not too sound too desperate! Sometimes a less forced approach is sometimes the best!

I commend what your trying to do and don't give up! I have had a look at the website and it looks to be a very promising site! Keep up the good work and i hope you get some responses!

Thanks

Darren :clouds2:

Cheers guys (Roy & Darren).

Whats the difference between me advertsing a website and SGL advertising FLO and AstroPedia etc etc, besides them asking / wanting to be advertised?

The same can be said for all the software 'plugs' made in other sections of this website.

I was only asking for some images, not plugging my site.......you know for a forum which is meant to be 'welcoming', sometimes I wonder!

Thankyou Roy, your images are great and are top of the gallery!

Astropedia is part of SGL.

It was my idea, Grant did the software side of it and several members, mod's, GM's and Admin of SGL are adding information, it will become a great resource.

Personally I think you got a cheek moaning that no one want to give you images.

I wasn't moaning, I was persuasivly asking.

Come on, for the amount of members on here that post images in the 'Imaging' section, I thought there would be plenty willing to donate. This is clearly not the case now, so I shall ask no-more!

There's no harm in trying....after all look at whats the biggest thing in the news at the moment, the lhc and what are they trying to do at cern...trying to better physics and improve their understanding. I was trying to ask for images to better and improve my website...that is all!

further more, due to lack of interest on some of our images, I shall no longer be posting any images on the forum. I am still participating in discussions, and will try to help others.

this has been caused primarily by comments i made in the past. I understand this, but the images Douglas and I produce are worthy of some good feedback. For the most part, enthusiasm has been lacking.

To those who did contribute to my images, Celescope, Gordon haynes, Paxo, legion48, whippy, steve, steppenwolf, centroid, lightbucket, starflyer, beyond vision and all the others. Thank you, thank you very much indeed. Its nice to feel appreciated.

I feel it is no longer worth it for me to post our images. I suupose the straw that broke the camels back was our gamma cyg mosaic. I thought it was pretty good. Perhaps I am wrong about all this...maybe they arent good.

Sorry for this, its just how I feel. I do understand the lack of response though,

Best Wishes

Paul

PS sorry EA2007 for posting in your thread

To those who did contribute to my images, Celescope, Gordon haynes, Paxo, legion48, whippy, steve, steppenwolf, centroid, lightbucket, starflyer, beyond vision and all the others. Thank you, thank you very much indeed. Its nice to feel appreciated.

WTF do you expect?!?! The entire forum to get down on their knees and praise you?!

Andrew

To be fair Paul, theres only really 2 images that have slipped under the radar. All your other threads have 10+ replies and one has over 30, I know these posts arn't from unique members but its still not a bad response.

Theres no rhyme or reason to these things sometimes, I've posted Moon shots that I thought were pretty decent and have only gotten a few replies and then posted an image I didn't think was as good and got a lot more feedback. It just happens sometimes, I look more at the number of times the thread has been viewed and people have seen my image. If they don't feel sufficently moved or impressed to post a "nice shot Gaz" type message then its not the end of the world.

Yeh, there is quite a good selection I think.

I shall be placing all the technical info on it later tonight for your images. Thanks once again for letting me use them!

(Jeff RV, I think we have covered the 'off topic' stuff in this post, I am sure Paul doesn't need anything more being said on it.)

Archived