Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

m81 with 15 mins rgb data with astropixel processor

Before the big guns wade in, I will give you my opinion.  ( I am a novice imager who has more enthusiasm than talent....... but I know what I like etc....do not know many of the technical terms..... but hey-ho!!...  )

Good detail on the galaxy, I am impressed with the image size, you have got some of the lumpiness in the spiral arm. That should really fill out nicely with more data.  

My attempts have M-82 in the frame as well and this usually makes it too cluttered or divides the focus of the picture.

The background sky is bright, almost as if there is some nebulosity there, is it sky-glow or the Moons influence ?   I imagine this could be toned down or stretched out (??)...or maybe a longer exposure will improve the S/N ratio and make it less pronounced.

A lot of people are OCD on star shapes,  yours look fine to me.

There you go....  I would be very happy with it, lets face it the semi-pros pixs on here would be 'hours' of integrated data.

Sean.

thanks craney just started using astro pixel processor although i do have pixinsight, i have found astro a lot easier to use,and my data is limited at the moment becuase of the terrible skies we are getting 

Nice one! I'm not familiar with the Atik 414. There's some gradient there and, as Sean said, for me the background is a bit light. Nice galaxy detail and you're getting colour in the stars. Can you give us capture details?

What did you use to process the image?

Looks like great data for 15 mins!

I'm no expert, but it seemed to me that there was a bit of noise, a bit of background, and a bit of green that could be dealt with (with a bit of processing!)

I've tried all that on your JPG and get this:

abe-bilat-onr-rgb-blur-scnr.thumb.jpg.9a728f71b42bf0d52abdbcc3a7fb8361.jpg

2 hours ago, Astrosurf said:

Nice one! I'm not familiar with the Atik 414. There's some gradient there and, as Sean said, for me the background is a bit light. Nice galaxy detail and you're getting colour in the stars. Can you give us capture details?

What did you use to process the image?

thanks ive used 3x 5 mins for each rgb channel with the 414ex ccd on a  ed80,then processed using  astro pixel processor                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

3 minutes ago, AKB said:

Looks like great data for 15 mins!

I'm no expert, but it seemed to me that the was a bit of noise, a bit of background, and a bit of green that could be dealt with (with a bit of processing!)

I've tried all that on your JPG and get this:

abe-bilat-onr-rgb-blur-scnr.thumb.jpg.9a728f71b42bf0d52abdbcc3a7fb8361.jpg

thanks akb been trying a while now to get what youve done to the background,i have both pixinsight and astropixel processor how did you do it roughly and with what cheers iwols

1 minute ago, iwols said:

been trying a while now to get what youve done to the background,i have both pixinsight and astropixel processor how did you do it roughly and with what

I don't have PI, or APP, or PS.  I'm using a mixture of Nebulosity and MATLAB with my own implementation of various algorithms.

However, the approach is broadly:

• make a synthetic luminosity channel from RGB
  • use DBE to remove the background gradient
  • create a smoothed version of the RGB image (to reduce colour noise)
  • synthesize an LRGB image from the processed L and smoothed RGB
  • remove green with SCNR
  • other noise reduction / tweaks as you please

The only final noise reduction I did was to use what I'm calling ONR (for Olly's Noise Reduction) which is a lifting of the very low level grey levels to achieve a background of ~23 / 255, after Olly Penrice who has expounded on this approach in some of his excellent musings here.

Archived