Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mending cross-hairs??

I can't think where to put this, but this seems the best choice at the moment, perhaps we need a 'repairs' board?

Anyhow, I tried the new baby Vixen last night.  The finder-scope despite its small size actually seems to work OK.  However, looking through it (the finder-scope) one of the cross hairs is detached at one end.  I was wondering if anything could be done to mend it, but I just wondered if anyone knows how this normally attach.  I can see that at the end of the loose 'hair' is a lump of 'something' does this slot in somewhere; are they just glued in place; does anyone have any ideas about repair/has anyone ever successfully repaired one.  I can unscrew things sufficiently to get to it, but it does appear to fasten somehow under the ledge I can get too.  Would I be better off cutting my losses and seeing if I can remove it completely?

All ideas welcome.

I've just discovered that some things are tricky to take pics of, but I think these show the problem.  I've unscrewed the end with the x-hairs in and this is as close as I can get.

XHairs2.jpg

XHairs1.jpg

Oh wow... Never figured that the given name "cross-hair" would literally mean hair!! O_O I always thought it would be an etching or a cut in the lens, but hey, the names usually aren't that far fetched ^^

For your problem, don't you have any warranty for it? Is it a new one?

25 minutes ago, AbeSapien said:

Is it a new one?

No- it's second hand and from the 70's!  Not surprising that its failed, but I was kind of wondering about gluing it back - it will be a bit fiddly though unless I can get to the right side of where it attaches, at the moment it seems to want to fasten to the inside of a ledge that I can only see the back of.  Then I'll have to decide whether to go for an impact style glue or something a bit slower. What I probably need is something tacky enough to hold it, but releasable enough to have a couple of re-positions if necessary before it sets.

If you look on your pictures you should see that inside the barrel there is a ring with a small notch just above where the cross hair has come loose. This ring is what holds the lenses and spacers in the eyepiece. If you unscrew that ring it may be possible to carefully remove the spacer to which the cross hairs are attached. 

17 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

If you unscrew that ring it may be possible to carefully remove the spacer to which the cross hairs are attached.

I've got it.  It unscrewed and removed just as you suggested and the cross hairs are fastened to other side.  Now I can get to the surface they are attached too I might be able to do some gluing.  A big help - thanks a lot.

I found some UHU glue and applied a little with a cocktail stick and nudged things about with tweezers.  Cross hairs now back in place maybe a smidgen less taut than previously, but crossing in the middle and no longer sagging.  Good job jobbed I think and another victory for the SGL 'help tank'.  Thanks Ricochet!

For some critical purposes spider silk is used, but I guess it would be too fine for an astronomical eyepiece. The thinnest single wire (about 0.1mm) I had looked like a tree trunk so I used a VERY thin strand of wire from a very fine cable when I made a cross hair.

I have attempted this with a steady hand and superglue- best to re-glue the original floating  wire if you can access it  - have tried copper wire and even human hair but a bit too thick!-Tony.

36 minutes ago, tony210 said:

best to re-glue the original floating  wire if you can access it  

Thanks to the lesson from Ricochet this is what I managed to do :-D

Archived