Narrowband

Astrokev's ROR - The Build

Astrokev

Then I started the exciting task of laying the rubber tiles. I took up the two small pieces of ply from around the pier to use as a template to cut the hole for the pier. Incredibly, I got this right first time, and the centre tile slipped over the pier without a problem. I've fitted all the tiles apart from the part-tiles around the edge. I'll try and finish these tomorrow.

Don't forget to leave a gap around the edges. The tiles do tend to expand quite considerably during the warm weather.

Steve

10 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

Then I started the exciting task of laying the rubber tiles. I took up the two small pieces of ply from around the pier to use as a template to cut the hole for the pier. Incredibly, I got this right first time, and the centre tile slipped over the pier without a problem. I've fitted all the tiles apart from the part-tiles around the edge. I'll try and finish these tomorrow.

Don't forget to leave a gap around the edges. The tiles do tend to expand quite considerably during the warm weather.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I've left a small gap; hopefully this will be enough. If not then it won't be much effort to take up the edge tiles and trim a bit more off.

Today, I finished laying the rubber flooring. I left a small gap of ~10mm around the edge, which is under the bottom edge of the wall panels (when I fitted the panels I raised the bottom edge off the floor by 18mm for this purpose). The rubber floor makes a huge difference. Having tried the room out this evening (before the clouds rolled in) it's so quiet, so no more clunking around in the middle of the night!

IMG_5732.jpg.bb5137a26fb74217fdd3b39f99ca440d.jpg

Since it was sunny I thought I'd make good use of the good weather and clear out the cabin to try and find the desk that I knew was buried in there. The pictures show before and after the sort out. You can also see a pile of carpet tiles under the desk which I'll use for the warm room floor.

The desk is too large to fit in the warm room, so my plan is to cut-out a piece to fit. I've measured up the room and don't think the room is wide enough to accommodate a decent width of desk if I put it under the window. So, rather than put a simple rectangular piece across the end of the room, I've decided to make use of the curved front edge of the desk. Fortuitously, the corner to corner dimension across the curved front edge is exactly the same as the width of the warm room. So, my plan is to use this as the front edge and position it at an angle across the room - see picture below. This will allow me to be able to easily see through the window whilst still having a decent width of desk.

So, that's the plan. Now for the tricky bit. As I need to get it right first time, I've heeded earlier advice and have made an OSB template to check out the size and position. I traced the front curved edge off the desk. I can now use the OSB to mark out the piece I need, which will have to be cut at an oblique angle. I'm going to try and retain the steel square box sections supporting the laminated top.

IMG_5733.jpg.4cb1036b8205801bfdee9b5b7f5819d2.jpgIMG_5734.jpg.a1fe0445b8b1c3faabd88de1d9143da3.jpgIMG_5737.jpg.16adb4aaec84b79a23107e423cf4ee41.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

To give the rubber flooring a test run, and since the scope room is now finished, I thought it about time I reinstalled one of the scopes. The Moon was shining bright when I went in with the scope. By the time I'd got it mounted on the NEQ6, and rolled the roof open, it had of course gone cloudy. Grrrr!

Anyway, here's a picture of a rather expensive cloud-watcher. Note the shelves being put to good use already :)

IMG_5750.jpg.9140ced0549927c87a07a46df9428fef.jpg

Edited by Astrokev
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I say, Chaps, that's a bit posh! :thumbsup: And so empty! :biggrin:

Like people used to have a "best" front room for entertaining the vicar to tea and biscuits once a year.

Two up two down and they wasted all that space when it could easily have been filled with lots of really "nice" junk. :wink2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I say, Chaps, that's a bit posh! :thumbsup: And so empty! :biggrin:

Wait a while, he's not properly moved in yet.  Lol and neither have the spiders.   I have to vacuum up all the dead spiders a couple of times a year.  Guess they get in via the small gap between the dome and walls.  

Carole 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rusted said:

I say, Chaps, that's a bit posh! :thumbsup: And so empty! :biggrin:

Like people used to have a "best" front room for entertaining the vicar to tea and biscuits once a year.

Two up two down and they wasted all that space when it could easily have been filled with lots of really "nice" junk. :wink2:

Give me a chance ?, I only finished the scope room yesterday, and there's still bits to do in the warm room, and then I've got to fit the electrics and lights. 

Don't worry, I've got lots of bits of nice junk and I'm sure stuff will gradually migrate. Saying that, I'll only put useful stuff in there. Can't see any point cluttering the place up with stuff I'll never use. I rather like having space to move and empty space gives room to grow. If it was full from day one then I don't think I would have done a very good job at the design stage ?.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, carastro said:

Wait a while, he's not properly moved in yet.  Lol and neither have the spiders.   I have to vacuum up all the dead spiders a couple of times a year.  Guess they get in via the small gap between the dome and walls.  

Carole 

Thanks Carole. I'll be keeping a watchful eye out for creepies, but suspect this is a losing battle!

15 hours ago, Yawning Angel said:

50 pages and that picture makes it worth it! Clouds aside, you must be chuffed!

Still a bit to do, but I have to say it is nice to be in the scope room and not trip over tools on the floor or fall down holes between the joists! 

1 hour ago, Astrokev said:

Haha. Thinking of taking up a new hobby -  cloud spotting. 

I'm currently on my 9th incarnation of my cloud imaging rig (I think it's the 9th - I've lost count!!).  It has the official name of All Sky Camera. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Astrokev said:

Haha. Thinking of taking up a new hobby -  cloud spotting. 

29 minutes ago, Gina said:

I'm currently on my 9th incarnation of my cloud imaging rig (I think it's the 9th - I've lost count!!).  It has the official name of All Sky Camera. ?

To keep in the spirit of earlier replies:

"Rows and floes of angel hair. And ice cream castles in the air. And feather canyons everywhere. I've looked at clouds that way."

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1