SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astrokev's ROR - The Build

Astrokev

42 minutes ago, Astrokev said:

I was undecided too, but am glad I lined it now. Quite costly for relatively small gain (mainly cosmetic), but finishes the interior nicely. 

I lined mine with OSB3 to save money. 

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

Thinking about how best to make a desk/bench in the warm room. 

I've found an old offcut of kitchen worktop in the shed, which I may try. I'm thinking of putting a narrow-ish desk under the window, rather than a desk opposite the door.

Not sure yet how to support it. Whether to use diagonal braces like the scope room shelving, vertical props, or to build a narrow cupboard underneath ??

Don't forget leg and foot room!  Try stacking some cardboard boxes under there first to check how much room you really need.
I thought I'd make a cupboard or even shelves but then I couldn't get near enough to use the laptop.
Mouse mat space is also important on your desk top if you use one. Same with keyboards if you use a PC.
Mock up possible desk tops with scrap material on any handy props. I even had to shuffle stuff around on the rear surface.
Otherwise I couldn't open the laptop against the pier. I had already drilled holes for the cables and wished I hadn't afterwards.
You need big holes for non-removable drive plugs! Make haste slowly before committing to anything at this stage.  :wink2:

• Like 1

All paintwork in the scope room is finished :)Time permitting, tomorrow I may lay the rubber flooring.

After that, it's onto the warm room - painting the walls, laying the carpet tiles and then playing around with some form of desk (not necessarily in that order!).

IMG_5700.jpg

IMG_5703.jpg

IMG_5701.jpg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Sounds like you're having a bit of a sprint to the finish :)

James

Just want to get it finished now. I've really enjoyed building it but I'm starting to "hit the wall"! There's so many other jobs and projects I need to pick-up which have been sadly neglected.

1 minute ago, Astrokev said:

Just want to get it finished now. I've really enjoyed building it but I'm starting to "hit the wall"! There's so many other jobs and projects I need to pick-up which have been sadly neglected.

I know the feeling :)

James

• Like 1

All these "interior designer" finishes are making me feel so inadequate. :blush:
I wonder if I can get the stepladder gilded for a nice bit of Louis 14th bling? :biggrin:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Rusted said:

All these "interior designer" finishes are making me feel so inadequate. :blush:
I wonder if I can get the stepladder gilded for a nice bit of Louis 14th bling? :biggrin: 

Nah, I'd say yours is definitely "Retro Steam Punk"....

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Nah, I'd say yours is definitely "Retro Steam Punk"....

Is that what you call it? :biggrin:

Thanks! I have the dark glasses with side shades.

They'd be ideal for solar! ?

Too windy to do much in the observatory, but I thought I'd dig out the kitchen worktop from the back of the tool shed, in readiness to try and make a warm room desk. This was more difficult than I thought, as the shed is now full of left over insulation, ply panels, studding, cladding, and piles of tools. Had to battle my way to the back and eventually dragged out the worktop, only to find it was horrrndously warped. ?  

So , plan B. At the back of my other shed, the cabin, I remembered I have an office desk that was a freebie from one of my ex employers. I dug my way through a mountain of garden furniture seating and cushions and measured it up. The desk is too big to fit in the tiny warm room, but I have a cunning plan....for a less windy day!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

A cunning plan? How cunning? As cunning as a fox whose just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University?

Or a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel?

I sense that it will involve saws, whatever the case :D

James

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Astrokev said:

The desk is too big to fit in the tiny warm room, but I have a cunning plan....for a less windy day!

Those pods that are common on domes comes to mind.

gpod1600.jpg

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JamesF said:

James

Well I guess that wasn't that difficult to guess, was it. But not just trimming a bit off the end - ooh no - something slightly more appealing to the designer in me. 

Busy painting and fitting the rubber floor tiles today, so the desk will have to wait a bit. Plus, I've got to empty the whole cabin to get it out. 

Painted the warm room side of the internal door this afternoon, so that there's no risk of me dripping paint over the rubber flooring in the scope room once I've laid these.

Once done, I filled the gap between the pier and the floor boards, which I've had on the list for ages. I have a huge box of foam which was perfect for the job.

IMG_5714.jpg.7a5338013c3dc4d8a6cae8fe22b7f9f9.jpg

Then I started the exciting task of laying the rubber tiles. I took up the two small pieces of ply from around the pier to use as a template to cut the hole for the pier. Incredibly, I got this right first time, and the centre tile slipped over the pier without a problem. I've fitted all the tiles apart from the part-tiles around the edge. I'll try and finish these tomorrow.

IMG_5718.jpg.429da85dfac001d3f1cafd389f3a55e2.jpg

• Like 6