Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_galaxies_winners.thumb.jpg.92ab73c3699031e815897184054b8f7c.jpg

Astrokev

Astrokev's ROR - The Build

A very nice build indeed.... I do enjoy looking at these despite, sadly, having zero skills of my own. It's really taking shape now 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mick J said:

Looking really good Kev,  surprising how much time and timber these things take,  you have loads of room under the floor for cable trunking before you put the floor down.  

Thanks Mick. Your dead right there - even the simplest of jobs seems to take twice as long as I expected! I'm keeping a log of all the materials and costs, but am beginning to wish I hadn't started this as the cost is really escalating! Good job it's taken me nearly a year so far since I started, which spreads the cost somewhat.

I'm starting to think about power supply to the obsy. In the little research I've done so far, it appears there are no hard and fast regs relating to whether outside SWA cable needs to be buried. I gather it can be routed along fencing.

Does anyone know for sure the regs regarding this?

Thanks

15 hours ago, swag72 said:

A very nice build indeed.... I do enjoy looking at these despite, sadly, having zero skills of my own. It's really taking shape now 👍🏻👍🏻

Thanks Sara, that's very kind.

I've been following your obsy rebuild with great interest. I'm envious of the skies you have out there in Spain - and of course, of your excellent images!

Kev

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Astrokev said:

Thanks Sara, that's very kind.

I've been following your obsy rebuild with great interest. I'm envious of the skies you have out there in Spain - and of course, of your excellent images!

Kev

Cheers Kev..... as it stands right now, my observatory roof was completed a week ago and I've been in the UK since then..... I've not even seen it yet 😩😩

• Like 1

Yesterday and today were devoted to household chores - cleaning, office paperwork etc, so didn't have much time to enjoy myself.

Last night I did manage to get the posts concreted in to the holes I'd dug though, which was pleasing. I creocoted the bottom of the posts to help resist decay. I'll coat the rest of the posts in solvent based preserver once all the woodwork is finished. The pointy-sticks nailed to the wooden form frame (middle pic) were to hold the post in the right place to keep it vertical. The tops of the posts were held in place with clamps. Once the concrete has hardened I'll screw the brackets in place. These pics were taken this morning once the concrete had started to go off.

Next job is to add bracing to the posts and then, finally, I can move onto the rolling roof.

Rain is forecast tonight so back-on went the tarp this evening, just in case ☹️

In the last image you can also get a good view of my nemesis - a neighbours decorative lamp on the corner of his drive. I think he must have used a thousand watt bulb because it illuminates the whole garden like daylight 😩.. My cunning plan is to persuade him to let me paint the near-side black. Failing that, Plan B is to make a cover that I can place over it when I'm doing my stuff. I could always plant a new bush to replace the one that has clearly died next to the lamp (presumably scorched to death by the ferocity of the light), but not sure I've got time to wait for it to grow.

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

Edited by Astrokev

Awesome build and a huge inspiration to someone like me that have started the process towards my own home observatory. But ouch, that lamp really stings..

Just one question, a bit off topic, if I may: I saw your brilliant sketch from SketchUp. Is that from the free or payed version? I’m going to watch some tutorials and try to learn it for my own build but I was just wondering if that kind of results are possible with the free version or if I should open up my wallet ;)

Cheers!

8 hours ago, tobblerone said:

Awesome build and a huge inspiration to someone like me that have started the process towards my own home observatory. But ouch, that lamp really stings..

Just one question, a bit off topic, if I may: I saw your brilliant sketch from SketchUp. Is that from the free or payed version? I’m going to watch some tutorials and try to learn it for my own build but I was just wondering if that kind of results are possible with the free version or if I should open up my wallet ;)

Cheers!

Thanks for your comments - much appreciated. I'm really just riding on the back of previous great builds on the forum. Very little is purely my own design; I've cribbed and cherry-picked from lots of other builds and put them together to suit my own needs.

I'm probably over-engineering my build. A perfectly good obsy can certainly be built more simply, quickly and cheaply! As I think I've mentioned before, for personal reasons, I needed a project this year that I could immerse myself in and this is the perfect thing to do just that.

Regarding SketchUp, I use the free version, which is brilliant, and I guess good news for your wallet! Took me a while to get to grips with it, but once you do it really is a joy to use. If it's of interest, I've copied my obsy SketchUp file below. I've added the .pdf extension as I read somewhere that you couldn't upload .skp files to the forum. Simply copy the file to your PC, rename the file to delete the .pdf extension leaving just the original .skp extension, and it should then open without problem in SketchUp. If you do this, you'll see that each part of the build is drawn on different layers, together with additional layers that have everything dimensioned. This makes it easy to view/hide different parts of the build.

The rolling roof is in green - I'm still tinkering with the roof design before I start to build it - my next job 🙂

Hope this is helpful and useful 😃

Obsy.jpg

Final Design mod 4.skp.pdf

1 hour ago, Astrokev said:

Thanks for your comments - much appreciated. I'm really just riding on the back of previous great builds on the forum. Very little is purely my own design; I've cribbed and cherry-picked from lots of other builds and put them together to suit my own needs.

I'm probably over-engineering my build. A perfectly good obsy can certainly be built more simply, quickly and cheaply! As I think I've mentioned before, for personal reasons, I needed a project this year that I could immerse myself in and this is the perfect thing to do just that.

Regarding SketchUp, I use the free version, which is brilliant, and I guess good news for your wallet! Took me a while to get to grips with it, but once you do it really is a joy to use. If it's of interest, I've copied my obsy SketchUp file below. I've added the .pdf extension as I read somewhere that you couldn't upload .skp files to the forum. Simply copy the file to your PC, rename the file to delete the .pdf extension leaving just the original .skp extension, and it should then open without problem in SketchUp. If you do this, you'll see that each part of the build is drawn on different layers, together with additional layers that have everything dimensioned. This makes it easy to view/hide different parts of the build.

The rolling roof is in green - I'm still tinkering with the roof design before I start to build it - my next job 🙂

Hope this is helpful and useful 😃

Obsy.jpg

Final Design mod 4.skp.pdf

Very much appreciated! :) Probably better than borrowing my daughters crayons to draw my designs ;) 

32 minutes ago, tobblerone said:

Very much appreciated! :) Probably better than borrowing my daughters crayons to draw my designs ;) 

Probably... :D

I found the single most important thing to learn in Sketchup is Groups. You want every single piece of timber to be its own Group, otherwise everything will stick together and if you try to move something, everything else moves with it in unexpected ways. You also want to nest groups (groups of groups), for example all pieces of timber of one side panel would be a group of groups of pieces of timber.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yesyes said:

Probably... :D

I found the single most important thing to learn in Sketchup is Groups. You want every single piece of timber to be its own Group, otherwise everything will stick together and if you try to move something, everything else moves with it in unexpected ways. You also want to nest groups (groups of groups), for example all pieces of timber of one side panel would be a group of groups of pieces of timber.

Absolutely agree.

The other thing (which I still sometimes get wrong) is to make sure you have the right layer selected when you are drawing on a layer. Nothing more frustrating than drawing a complex piece only to find it's on the wrong layer. You can move groups between layers but I always get into a pickle when doing this. Far better to get it right first time!

Update of the day's progress.

As hoped, I completed the bracing on the rail support posts. These could have been neater, but will do the job.

I also added right-angle brackets to the warm room roof joists, to strengthen the support for the beam that forms the seal between the rolling roof and the fixed roof when the roof is closed. I was a little worried that it may be knocked out of position by the rolling roof repeatedly bashing into it if I close the roof too vigorously.

Next task is either to start on the rolling roof (which I’m dead excited about), or finish the fixed roof by adding a ply sheet and then covering with EPDM rubber. Problem is I haven’t got a ply sheet, or EPDM, and I’m eager to get going on the rolling roof!

Since I’m busy enjoying quality family time over the next few days, and the weather has closed in again, think I’ll source the ply and EPDM. The next task will then be dictated by whether these arrive before the rain stops 😁

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg