Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrokev's ROR - The Build

Astrokev

13 hours ago, Astrokev said:

The observant will notice the corner of my mattress, being integrity tested before we leave for Kelling! 

An air mattress at a building site? You like to live dangerously, don't you? ;)

Seriously though, the build is coming along nicely.

Have fun & clear skies at Kelling.

10 hours ago, wimvb said:

An air mattress at a building site? You like to live dangerously, don't you? ;)

Seriously though, the build is coming along nicely.

Have fun & clear skies at Kelling.

Your probably right there!

Thanks Wim. Forecast for Kelling is looking cloudy and rainy at present sadly ?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, lguise said:

A very high quality build! All the attention to detail will pay off, this Observatory will last for decades. Well done Kevin, looking forward to seeing the finished structure.

All the best,

Linton 

Thanks Linton. It may well outlast my ability to keep doing astronomy! You must come round when it's finished.

Look forward to seeing you at Kelling.

Kev

15 hours ago, Kev M said:

Wasn't going to mention it.....

Looking good though Kev, professional looking job...will have to get my humble attempt updated and some more pics posted.

Thanks Kev for your kind words. Looking forward to getting it finished now. It's taken far too long!

5 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Set yourself a target for completion, & tell SWMBO to kick you along..... 

My latest target is to get the observatory fully operational in time for the winter season. Barring unforeseen disasters, this should be easily achievable (he says, possibly foolishly!). 

• Like 1

A couple of in-progress shots.

3 walls are now complete. I ran out of nails before finishing the wall facing the shed and am still waiting for my order to be delivered. I'm pretty busy this week, driving my daughter back to Uni in Cornwall, but if time allows I hope to put a couple of coats of preserver on the finished walls and paint with a water-repellent top-coat (not sure what colour yet). This will allow me to take the tarps down so I can finish the rolling roof.

IMG_3075.jpg

IMG_3076.jpg

• Like 2

Cladding of the final wall was completed today. Just need to give it a couple of coats of preserver tomorrow, then I can paint the 4 walls in tasteful off-white wood treatment. ?

Edited - added a pic from a new angle (my son took this sneakily while I was beavering away) which better shows the observatory in the context of the garden.

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_3173.jpg

Edited by Astrokev
  • Like 8

Well, I've painted the walls. Hmmm...… problem is I don't like it ?.

I painted it yesterday in the late afternoon half-light. Now that I see it in full daylight, it's much whiter than I expected.

I think I'm going to revisit the paint-shop and see whether I should re-paint with a shade that will blend into the garden better. Maybe I should go for a grey-green and stone colour?

This is a real pain as the walls will need a light sanding to provide a key before repainting - time, time, time..... Maybe I should've painted a test area first, instead of painting the whole thing. Oh well, done now - just need to make a decision and move on.

Watch this space.

IMG_3279.jpg

• Like 3