Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p.thumb.jpg.9baae12eeb853c863abc6d2cf3df5968.jpg

I've been on the lookout for NLC's since the beginning of this season, but no luck, until last night. As I was getting ready for bed, I glanced out the window and FINALLY, some beautiful noctilucent clouds! Grabbed my DSLR and a tripod and ran outside. 

Camera: Sony SLT A77

Lens: Tamron SP 70-200 F/2.8 Di USD

Tripod: Benro A4570T with Benro B1 ballhead

Settings: manual mode, RAW, ISO 500, f/4.0, 0.5 sec, 120mm

Post: Some basic minor tweaks in PSE15 (levels, contrast, unsharp mask and slight colour correction)

NLC170702_1_v2.thumb.jpg.d16d86d2eceeec20afef21867d618218.jpg

Edited by TractionMan
  • Like 14

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jason126
      Newb here. I have settled on my first telescope being the 4SE or 6SE and I have a Sony Alpha 300 DSLR I would like to be able to connect to play around with AP. I am barely starting to grasp the terminology involved with telescopes in general but it seems connecting a camera to a telescope is a whole different ball game.
      It seems as though the 4SE has a separate eyepiece and camera attachment? Looks like you can just flip a knob to swap between the viewer and camera? Whereas the 6SE it appears that you have to remove the whole eyepiece to connect the camera. After reading some reviews everyone says they immediately wanted a more powerful telescope so I am thinking the 6SE may be the way to go but I really don't like the idea of having to swap back and forth by removing the eyepiece, is there an after-market accessory that would allow it to work more like the 4SE (flip a switch from viewer to camera and back)?
      And I guess my other question is are the optics really that much better on the 6SE that it would be worth the hassle when connecting the camera? I see that the light gathering capability and magnification are better but how perceivable is that difference? My goal is to do some moon viewing but it would be great to see some cool deep space objects too. +
      One final thought, how much does the auto star tracking feature help or hurt the image quality? I mean on a 20 second+ exposure the object is going to move some amount, is the Nexstar tracking system really able to keep the object that precisely still in the optics? Or should I just expect to get blurry spots of light when photographing deep space objects?
      Thanks
    • By deepind
      HI All,
      I have nikon d3200 , is it good for astrophotography? i tried with 18-140mm lens but the shots are too much white not good..do i need to upgrade to d3400 or d5300 or d5600?

• By deepind
      Hi all,
      Whenever i took pictures attached to my telescope i get a big white flare in the middle..am using celestron astromaster 130eq with nikon d3200...i hv attached a sample image..please tell me y this happens? 

• By MikeODay
      Spiral Galaxy NGC 6744 in Pavo
      NGC 6744 is a Milky Way like barred spiral galaxy in the constellation Pavo.  Visible only from lower latitudes, the light we see now left this galaxy around 25 million years ago. 

NGC 6744 in Pavo ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )

Capture Details:
      North is up.
      Telescope: 
      Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1400mm f4.7.
      Mount: 
      Skywatcher EQ8.
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, 
      Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, 
      PHD2 .
      Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) 
      (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels).
      Moderate light pollution 
      ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map ).
      Capture ( 16, 17, 19 Sept. 2017 ).
      9 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 1s to 240s ) all at ISO800.
      85 x 240s + 5 each @ 1s to 120s.
      Processing ( Pixinsight - 5-17 Nov 2017  ).
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and no darks.
      Integration in 9 sets.
      HDR combination 
      PhotometricColorCalibration
      Arcsinh stretch ( function written by Mark Shelley )
      Image Plate Solver - NGC 6744 - Sept 17, 2017
      ===================================
      Resolution ........ 0.586 arcsec/px ( full size image )
      Rotation ............ 0.001 deg.
      Focal ................. 1372.24 mm.
      Pixel size ........ ..3.90 um.
      Field of view ..... 58' 30.3" x 38' 59.0".
      Image center ...... RA: 19 09 46.591  Dec: -63 51 13.44
      ==================================

• By MikeODay
      I have completed a comparison of the level and pattern of read noise in bias frames between the Nikon D7500 and the D5300, please see the blog page ...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.