Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece_winners.thumb.jpg.236833c5815bb321211a43f4d5214ba8.jpg

Hello folks, 

for long I have been browsing the internet to find a suitable 10in dob and despite lack of reviews, I have decided to take the plunge with the Bresser Messier 10in Dobsonian. There was some doubt at first, especially when considering the popularity of similar scopes from Skywatcher, Meade and GSO. Even though Bresser is relatively new to the market, it has some clever features: 

1. The massive 2.5in hexagonal rack and pinion focuser is very solid and the movement is smooth. Despite being only single speed, Bresser sells an a dual speed 10:1 extension. However, I find the movement precise enough and do not need the extension at the moment. 

2. Optical finder scope feels a bit cheap but it is a nice upgrade over the red dot finder I had on my previous scope.

3. Rocker box style base allows disassembling the scope into two pieces (OTA and base).  

4. Tube rings allows the scope to be easily balanced when adding weight + after adding a suitable dovetail plate, the OTA can be used on an equatorial mount (if you plan to upgrade to an eq mount, I would consider the 8in model, as an eq mount for the 10in would be expensive).

The only negative comments I can give about the scope is the production process. There were some minor issues with the assembly with the scope as parts did not fit properly. First problem was with one hole drilled deeper (loosening the particular screw fixed the issue). Another problem was with the altitude wheel as it made the OTA to pop out from the rocker box. (A loose screw on one of the plastic pads between the box and altitude wheels was causing this. Make sure all these screws are tightened and below the surface of the pads). 

Lastly, I assume there must have been a mistake in the quantity of items included (I got twice as many screws for the rockerbox and 2 eyepieces instead of one, both were 25mm super plossl but the standard was a 1.25in advertised on the bresser webpage, while the other was a 2in wide angle) 

I did not have the opportunity to test the scope outside properly due to clouds. 

Update: 01.06.2017

Had the chance to try it out on the moon and jupiter to a max magnification of around 160x. The results were very sharp and detailed views. Unfortunately, clouds rolled in before it got dark enough to observe DSO's. I am waiting for clouds to clear and a package with a 42mm wide angle eyepiece and a 2in GSO 2x ED barlow to arrive next week. 

IMG_20170702_131339.jpg

IMG_20170702_131538.jpg

IMG_20170702_131620.jpg

IMG_20170702_131437.jpg

IMG_20170702_131453.jpg

IMG_20170702_132058.jpg

• Like 5

Looks like a nice, well thought out scope with some interesting features. There are obviously not many of them out there yet but I reckon they are well worth trying.

Looking forward to more reports when you get a chance to use it properly.

Great report & pics - very nice looking scope :thumbsup:

I really like the tube rings and big alt bearings, the secondary adjustment screws, and the focuser looks nice too.

Looking forward to hearing more on how it performs :headbang:

Nice scope. :) I've had the 8" version for a couple of years and been pleased with the performance. 

Nice to see sensible sized alt bearings on a mass produced Dob. Very refreshing change from the norm. 

I too look forward to reading more on it's performance :) 

• Like 1

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I made an account just to do it haha. I am strongly considering this telescope and was hoping for an update! 

Thanks

Hi and welcome to SGL lots of folks on here happy to help.

Just checked out the Telescope House website, this scope is shown as in stock. Looks the same as the pics shown earlier.

If I were looking for 10” Dobsonian, the Bresser would be a strong contender. I like the fact that the tube is mounted in tube rings, this allows rotation to bring the focuser into a position to suit the user, and fore and aft movement for balance. The large altitude bearings are much better than from other manufacturers.

I’d rather have a Telrad finder than a small optical unit, but that’s an easy upgrade later on. A scope like this really needs better eyepieces to get the most out of the scope, but that applies to similar scopes from other makers.

Of course there’s always the second hand market, but it’s often difficult to find what you’re looking for without a long journey to collect. A new scope means you get your requirements delivered to your door.

A 10” Dob could very easily be a lifetime scope with no need to ever upgrade.

All the best in your choice, Ed.

• Like 1

I got one last year and am very pleased with it.  The bearings keep the tube steady, collimation is easy, the focuser is smooth and steady.  Being quite fast, sharpness falls off a bit away from centre field, but for visual that is not a problem.

Other points: it is manageable, but I am glad I didn't go for anything larger.  The finder is all but useless - I replaced it with a nice, light Rigel for finding targets, and a RACI for the wider view and for tracking.  I use it on a small homemade platform to get the eyepiece at a comfortable height.

It has aperture, magnification, pretty good field.  Stars are sharp (maybe not as good as with a frac of course), and lunar detail is fabulous.  I would recommend this telescope very highly.

Doug.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies! 

I should note that I currently have an 8 inch skywatcher dob, along with a 23mm Celestron Luminos, 16mm TV nagler type 2, 12mm astro-tech paradigm, 9mm svbony 68* and a Televue 2.5x barlow. 

My thought process is that I plan to give the 8 inch to my brother who is in college, and get a 10 inch to be my smallest dob. As my "end goal" is a 16in Explore Scientific truss dob in a couple of years. We are going to Big Bend this summer and I would like to get the 10 inch before that. The Bresser is a strong contender but I am wondering if its advantages are worth the $$ over the ES model that is virtually the same. Seems the Bresser has a different mirror and a slightly different focuser. I haven't found a bad report of the views. Same with the Explore Scientific though. Then add in the collapsable skywatcher and I have quite a conundrum here haha. 

I am also working on getting quality EPs before I get the scope. I plan to add a 12mm type 2 nagler and an 8.8 mead uwa and maybe a 3x barlow. I am hoping I won't need a coma corrector, but ik I will have to have one eventually for the 16in, but that is too far off to worry about. Any reports of coma?

Thanks again. 

Going from 8" to 10" is not much of an upgrade. Does your brother want the 8" or are you simply justifying buying another telescope? I think an 8" is the limit of a 1-part carry dob which makes it more grab and go than the 10". If the long term goal is the 16" then I think the 8" is possibly a better fit as the alternate scope. Unless you actually need two scopes now/for the summer I would be inclined to put the money towards the 16".

We currently live in the same town but my job is moving me to Austin, and he has really gotten into the hobby. I have handled a couple of 10in dobs at star parties so I am not worried about that.  Plus I have a 102mm refractor if I want a quick session. I have compared sketches and read several posts of people saying if you are replacing the 8 with the 10 as the smallest dob, it is worth it. I will get the 16 when I get settled into Austin in a year or two when I have bought a house outside of the city. But I do have a good friend from college that has a big ranch in lockhart, about 45min away from Austin, that I will take the 10 inch to in the mean time.