Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
piprees

Settings for horsehead

Venturing into imaging nebulae and here's the paradox. Taking images of the horsehead nebula with an Zwo asi 1600. What gain setting would be used? Alnitak is so bright it drowns out the finer detail of the nebula so should I reduce the gain, but then there's no info on the nebula. How does anyone get round this or have I missed something? I'll be getting PixInsight for processing.

Hope you can help,

P.

A great deal depends on how well your optics control Alnitak. Some will allow it to bloat, others won't.

You also need to be aware of the difference between an unsophisticated screen stretch given to you by the capture software and a far more sophisticated stretch performed in post processing software. Don't trust the capture software's screen stretch to tell you what's really happening. Open a test sub in  processing software to see what the linear data looks like. Is Alnitak really bloated? That's the only way to find out.

Since the optics and the local sky conditions vary enormously the only way for you to proceed is to experiment.

Olly

• Like 1

I make sure that I grab heaps of various length subs and stack them. later it makes curves adjustments less crunchy on alnitak while still keeping the nebulosity. This creates a deeper dynamic range.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, piprees said:

Thanks Mars, I'll try that.

It works, I imaged this one using that technique, plus add a bit of Halpha into red using nothing more than a full spectrum modded DSLR and processing in PS.

Barnard 33 HaRGB_Dec2015sm.jpg

• Like 3