SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Aug states Solar Eclipse

Hello

Im wanting to get to the USA to view the solar eclipse which happens to be on my birthday! Has anyone else made plans for this? I know the west coast of the US has the better chances of being clear. just wondered if there were packages from the uk to go and view it? also where would be logistically the easiest place to get to to view it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a lot of interest in this eclipse, the press are expecting this to be the most photographed eclipse in history.  We're going and combining it with a 3 week tour of the mid-west.  If you are interested in it i think you might have left it a bit late - we started planning five years ago and booked the key hotel rooms two years ago.  This is a big event - there are small towns in the eclipse path typical population 10,000 people and they are expecting 50,000 visitors.  The communities are making special arrangements for water, sanitation, food,emergency services.

there are eclipse based holiday packages on the Internet, we looked at them to get a comparison and they seem ok but the best ones appeared to sell out on the day the advertising was launched last year.

good luck

graeme

On 30 June 2017 at 23:22, Astroblagger said:

Im wanting to get to the USA to view the solar eclipse which happens to be on my birthday! Has anyone else made plans for this?

At a guess several million have made plans. At this time not sure if you could find anything concrete as accomodation will be in short supply, the RV parks were last I heard booked up to capacity. And in the US you cannot park up on a convenient place as you can in the UK, it has to be a designated RV park. There is probably no point in booking for anywhere outside the path of totaliity as I would honestly expect every road to be at a standstill. Like the one in Cairns Aus a few years back it is expected that the police will cut off the roads leading in owing to the weight traffic.

Total eclipses are becoming big (very big) business these days. Do you know anyone that lives conveniently on the path?

We've booked with Astrotrails to see the Ecllpse ifrom near Lander, WY. I believe  they may be still a few new places available, as due to the high demand they have booked extra accommodation and tour buses.

Good luck!

We booked our hotel on the east coast in February.  But perhaps the demand isnt as high on the east coast.  We plan on heading up the day before as to try to travel on the morning of the eclipse could be mad!

I'm going to Kansas the night before then driving to St Joseph in the morning. There is a big event there and it is in the path of totality only 1 second short if the maximum time. 

There is apparently space in the hotels in the area even though websites say they are full according to the eclipse site - http://www.stjosepheclipse.com/

Good luck!

Good Grief!

I'm planning to travel to my old stomping grounds in Wyoming in my RV. I was thinking I'd just saunter over to the line and set up early. But it sounds like there is going to be an invasion.

I better call my friend I worked with 37 years ago.

I'm going to make several alternative sites to my plan. :shocked:

I have just checked AirBnB for places to stay in Casper during the eclipse, and there are people asking literally thousands of USD  for one night. That's the true spirit of the free market in action. For my part I will exercise my freedom to decline that offer. I will stick with the old plan of driving during the night from Estes Park to Glendo

I'll be based in an RV, staying in Yellowstone for the week around the eclipse so have a couple of observing location options in mind, driving there the day before.

For imaging is anyone planning to automate using software such as Set'n'C or Eclipse Orchestrator? For previous eclipses I've always taken photos manually, but want to spend less time behind the camera this time.

I have a Son who lives just a short distance from San Francisco. I was going to take my time and drive to Oregan. Anyway every Hotel was either booked up or they were asking silly money. Because the eclipse is early morning in Oregan it meant a 10 hour drive through the night and then the return drive after the eclipse. I did not fancy sleeping in the car in a rest area (if I would be allowed).

In the end I decided not to go and I wish I had booked on an organised Tour.

13 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I have a Son who lives just a short distance from San Francisco. I was going to take my time and drive to Oregan. Anyway every Hotel was either booked up or they were asking silly money. Because the eclipse is early morning in Oregan it meant a 10 hour drive through the night and then the return drive after the eclipse. I did not fancy sleeping in the car in a rest area (if I would be allowed).

In the end I decided not to go and I wish I had booked on an organised Tour.

It's funny you should say that, I've booked on an organised tour, and only this morning I was checking my bank account and wishing I'd organised it under my own steam!

11 hours ago, Swithin StCleeve said:

It's funny you should say that, I've booked on an organised tour, and only this morning I was checking my bank account and wishing I'd organised it under my own steam!

At least with a tour you should have someone else looking out for you if things get messy. Big country the USA - a lot of people to descend on a 70 mile wide strip for a 2.5 minute event.

59 minutes ago, John said:

At least with a tour you should have someone else looking out for you if things get messy. Big country the USA - a lot of people to descend on a 70 mile wide strip for a 2.5 minute event.

Be prepared to view it from your car as a contingency.   :icon_biggrin:

I remember in France 1999, the package tours were stuck in traffic and arriving at the observing site after totality. I only hope the driver pulled over somewhere whilst it was happening.
With the tour I'm booked on, there's a professional astronomer on board, who, I hope, will understand the importance of an early start!

In 1999 we rented a cottage in Marazion right on the path of totality. Of course it was cloudy but the event and atmosphere were still unforgettable - my kids still go on about it :icon_biggrin:

I hope those in the USA for this event get an unforgettable experience as well - in a positive way of course !

On 7/28/2017 at 00:39, fireballxl5 said:

I'll be based in an RV, staying in Yellowstone for the week around the eclipse so have a couple of observing location options in mind, driving there the day before.

For imaging is anyone planning to automate using software such as Set'n'C or Eclipse Orchestrator? For previous eclipses I've always taken photos manually, but want to spend less time behind the camera this time.

I'm taking my whole rig-a-ma-roll with me, and planning on my mount to track my DSLR in Sun Mode.

It's been working for my test runs here, so fingers crossed. I'm also taking my regular tripod for static images (like star trails), and a third tripod set up to hold my cell phone.

The DSLR will be triggered by my Intervalometer for a steady capture rate, leaving me available to play with my cell phone for text images (If/when service is available. E.T Phone Home.)

Plus I'm planning on some dark sky enjoyment before, and after, the main event. Then sauntering back home in my own time.

About a 2100 mile trip for me and my little buddy, all told. So I hope to make the most of it on both ends.

No rush, no fuss, just hide out in the back woods sort of deal.

I'm OK with being off the line if it dodges the crowds.

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 08:39, fireballxl5 said:

Hi There,

I plan on using EO, and it has given me lots of problems, but I have found a set up that works, and a script that should od the trick on the day with the serial cable. I can help with some questions that you may have.

Tom

1 hour ago, Tom OD said:

Hi There,

I plan on using EO, and it has given me lots of problems, but I have found a set up that works, and a script that should od the trick on the day with the serial cable. I can help with some questions that you may have.

Tom

Thanks for the offer Tom, I'll give EO a test run (using a USB cable though) and get back to you if necessary.

CS, Andy

We're going to Madras in Oregon. We're picking up an RV in Portland on the Friday and heading down to Solarfest. Getting there should be fine but it's bound to be busy when we leave on the Tuesday. 

There are NASA events through the day at Solarfest and the Lowell Observatory has an evening event on the Sunday at the High School. We're viewing the eclipse the next day there too.

Madras should have clear skies........

Archived