SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSLR with flip screen - good/bad?

fireballxl5

thinking about my poor knees lol, are flip screens on the newer DSLRs a good reason to upgrade? I have a modded 40D.

I'm thinking if they are equally usable for framing and focusing as per a standard fixed screen.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

CS, Andy

I have an un-modified 70D which has a very flexible flip/touch screen.  I have often been thankful that it keeps me off my knees and saves my neck when focusing and framing but not sure if it alone warrants the cost of an upgrade.  Perhaps someone who has done the upgrade will opine.

I couldn't live without my 600D, some of the positions i would have to contort myself into at the ripe old age of 56 just isn't worth thinking about, and it's got the 640-480 crop mode, great for moon and planets too, well worth £250 just to save your neck.

If you get hold of an inexpensive program like APT or Backyard EOS, you would solve your bending and focus issues.  Plus, it ain't really astrophotography unless you have additional items (eg, computers) out in the field with you.  It seems with your current set up there simply aren't enough gadgets out there to ruin your night for you.  :wink:  (For the avoidance of doubt, I am joking about that last part ..... I think)

Have a look at MPB.com

They do good 2nd hand Cameras. Ive used them a lot and never had a problem.

Also you can get Canon EOS from the cano website download page. which will give you Live view and camera control from the PC

Pat

Can't have too many bits n bobs. No excuse required. ;)

I have both types, I always forget that I may be using a body with a flip screen, bit of a dope like that.

Some people swear by them, I hardly ever use mine, but I can see where there would be an advantage.

now when the 50mp flips screen models are low enough in price on the S/H market, I'll maybe look at one just to see what all the hype was about. :)

Rich

I would recommend a flip screen, people do use tethering to a laptop or tablet but it doesn't come close to the ability of the inbuilt screen to achieve focus and see very faint stars with the x5 and x10 zooms.

Alan

4 hours ago, gnomus said:

If you get hold of an inexpensive program like APT or Backyard EOS, you would solve your bending and focus issues. 

Agree with this. Once you start using APT (or similar) you won't look back. BUT it does require you to have a PC/laptop in the field, but then again a PC allows so much more flexibility such as decent GOTO, plate solving, guiding, image review, remote focus etc. etc.

I do have a Canon 650D with a flip out display and it is useful if I image without a computer so if you are in the market for one to use without a computer, then it is certainly useful.

Thanks for the pointers and advice. I use the 40D with my travel kit (60mm refractor on an Astrotrac) and so have no use for go-to or plate solving although I'd love to have these functions in the field! I have started to use a Polemaster with a Win10 Linx tablet for PA and initial focusing, so the flip-screen would really be used to frame when pointing away from the horizon, when this is particularly frustrating, and quickly check focus throughout a session.

The camera would be modded and dedicated for Astro.

I've seen that 600D's are available for £250 at MPB (thanks Alan). Would it be worthwhile going for the 700D over this?

Andy

19 hours ago, fireballxl5 said:

Thanks for the pointers and advice. I use the 40D with my travel kit (60mm refractor on an Astrotrac) and so have no use for go-to or plate solving although I'd love to have these functions in the field! I have started to use a Polemaster with a Win10 Linx tablet for PA and initial focusing, so the flip-screen would really be used to frame when pointing away from the horizon, when this is particularly frustrating, and quickly check focus throughout a session.

The camera would be modded and dedicated for Astro.

I've seen that 600D's are available for £250 at MPB (thanks Alan). Would it be worthwhile going for the 700D over this?

Andy

Astro wise there is very little in it between the two, for normal daytime photography the 700 D does offer a bit more. The 700 D does have a digic 5 possessor over the 600 D digic 4 so might offer some noise benefits on repeated long exposures.

Alan

If your only reason for upgrading is the screen, if you own an Android smartphone with 'USB host mode' on it there is a far cheaper alternative. Get the app called 'DSLR controller'.   https://dslrcontroller.com/

You get full image preview, full exposure control (including an interval timer) and full remote control of the focus on your autofocus lenses. 

The app itself is very cheap and there is a free version just for checking compatibility with your camera. You'll also need a cheap OTG cable which you can get on eBay for a couple of quid.

You can find out more by searching for the app on Google Play. There are quite few walkthroughs of the app and how it works on youtube.

I hope this helps.

Archived