Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star Adventurer DSLR Lenses

Aidan

Good Morning,

Following on from my tripod question.. Which i think i have now found a suitable one..   What would be a good couple of lens options for my Canon 600D?    One for good widefield which has good reviews is the Samyang 14mm f2.8..    What about something upto 200mm for deeper images?

I've gone for the Astro bundle, so weight should not be a problem.   I dont want to break the bank.. But i should i be looking for something in the f2.8 range?

Any recommendations woudl be appreicated on what would be suitable.

Rgds
Aidan

10 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

My recommendation... The Canon 24-105 L f4 Lens and Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 covers most of my needs.... the 24-105 is on the DSLR 90% of the time.

Thank you,  do you have an example of the sort of thing you can capture with the 105mm lens?   

1 minute ago, Aidan said:

Thank you,  do you have an example of the sort of thing you can capture with the 105mm lens?   

Yeah, I captured this only a couple month ago with the 24-105mm. Not tracked, just on a tripod than stacked 6 mins worth of short high ISO subs. 

Sagittarius Wide 1May2017.JPG

32 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

Does anybody have recommendations for a nikon dslr?

Yeah, my recommendation is get a Canon....

HA HA Joking....

As far as sigma is concerned, they make mounting for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax and Sigma.... Nikon has a Nikkor version of a 24-105mm.

1 minute ago, Victor Boesen said:

haha, I have thought about the same. I didn't know they made the same lens as canon. I will have a look.

Thanks

Nikon is a massive company like Canon, I'm sure that they would have if not the same than very similar gear...

Woudl these two give me a a good range or options for targets:

Canon EF 70-200mm F/4 L IS USM

http://www.camerajungle.co.uk/products/22119/canon-ef-70-200mm-f-4-0-l-usm-lens/126336?utm_source=gshopping&gclid=CPigqcSs5dQCFc2_7QodmmQB0A

Samyang 14mm f/2.8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAMYANG-14mm-wide-angle-Lens/dp/B004SH6OSI

The Canon 70-200 is quite widely available on the 2nd hand market and fair prices.   The Samyang when they come up 2nd hand are snapped up pretty quick.   

58 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Woudl these two give me a a good range or options for targets:

Canon EF 70-200mm F/4 L IS USM

http://www.camerajungle.co.uk/products/22119/canon-ef-70-200mm-f-4-0-l-usm-lens/126336?utm_source=gshopping&gclid=CPigqcSs5dQCFc2_7QodmmQB0A

Samyang 14mm f/2.8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAMYANG-14mm-wide-angle-Lens/dp/B004SH6OSI

The Canon 70-200 is quite widely available on the 2nd hand market and fair prices.   The Samyang when they come up 2nd hand are snapped up pretty quick.   

you would still need something between 14 & 70mm... 24-70mm lens would slot in nicely between those... but believe me, even 100mm is plenty for non guided shots... you'll want to stick to below 50mm to minimise drift/star trailing.. anything higher than 100mm and you're getting into telescope, rough polar aligning and possibly autoguiding territory.

1 hour ago, MarsG76 said:

you would still need something between 14 & 70mm... 24-70mm lens would slot in nicely between those... but believe me, even 100mm is plenty for non guided shots... you'll want to stick to below 50mm to minimise drift/star trailing.. anything higher than 100mm and you're getting into telescope, rough polar aligning and possibly autoguiding territory.

I do see alot of posts where folk are using 200mm on the Star Adventurer hence the question..    I'm guessing i would see more consistant results with the 105mm lens?

8 minutes ago, Aidan said:

you will definitely have more consistent quality subs with a shorter FL... non equatorial I would not go higher than 100mm, eq unguided 200-300mm would be my limit and 400+ definitely guiding is doing subs longer than 5 mins.

Of course it all depends on the length of your subs... for 20 second subs, you'll get away with longer FL than 5 min subs.

Experimentation is the key. But also baby steps not to get disheartened.

Oh i am all too aware of how it feels when things don't go right.. i learnt that when getting my big astro rig working..    I am fairly confident that the Star Adventurer setup.   I just want make sure i get the right lenses for my DSLR which will mount on it to allow both Milky Way wide angle type shots and be able to hone in on some of the brighter DSO targets.

Archived