Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Samyang 8mm or 10mm

BargeGazer

I am considering the two Samyang lenses, the 8mm fish-eye and the 10mm.

I will use them primarily for wide field imaging using APSC sized Canon cameras.

Any user comments would be very much apreciated and help me to choose which to purchase.

Thanks

David

I use the 14mm on my FF 6D and love it! I also have the excellent 12mm fisheye, which I've taken some nice MW shots with.

Although the fisheye can be very effectively 'de-fished' I tend to reach for the 14mm, as it's designed to produce a rectilinear image. De-fishing will give you corners that are quite soft due to the amount of correction required. You may find that you end up cropping out the extra FOV you gained in the first place.

Obviously I don't own the specific lenses you are after but I suspect that they will perform brilliantly. Samyang glass really is excellent, especially at wide apertures! I see no reason for the lenses designed for crop sensors to be any different.

HTH

Rich

I have a samyang 8mm on 70D crop but really only use it as a creative lens. I have never tried it for night sky imaging but do hope to at some point. Again it will not be for anything serious as the distortion is so pronounced even on the x1.6 crop body. They are though a truly superb lens for the money, if not a little fiddly being manual only.

I have the 10mm, which I use with my Canon 1000D and Canon 1100D.  I gives nice sharp stars when wide open and can get in the horizon and zenith when used with the camera in portrait orientation.

My guess is that whilst with the 8mm you'll have a wider field of view, you'll pick up all of the brightest meteors but you'll miss more of the fainter ones.

The 10mm has the added advantages of being a really nice lens for photographing the Milky Way, for general landscape shots and for wide field interior shots.

I have the 10mm Samyang on my LUMIX LX7, love it, perfect for the night sky photos; star trails and the aurora.  Is a micro 4/3rds so no idea how that compares to the sensor on your Canon camera. 

Chris

• 1 month later...
On 07/07/2017 at 14:21, BargeGazer said:

Have bought the 10mm. Works well in daytime. Waiting for a good clear sky - heading North York's in a week or so  :happy11:

David

Have you managed to test this lens yet? Does it suffer from de-centering? I've bought 2 14mm and both are decentered so want to know if the 10mm suffers the same fate.

Personally, I like variable lenses (umm, telephoto?) So when I grabbed onto a wide angle, I chose a 10-24mm. I find for wide field, on my Nikon D3300, which is APSC.

I find I seem to always use it ~ 14-16/18 mm, generally.

Is there any possibilities to rent a lens for a trial run?

Archived