SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NEQ6 Pro mains power recommendation!

3 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

How do these bench supplys actually connect to the mount.

My PSU is housed in the warm room of my observatory.  One end of the cable is screwed into the +/- terminals on the PSU.  The cable runs underneath the floor in a conduit (aka PVC waste pipe) and up through the floor to the pier, where I have it terminated into a cigarette lighter style socket.  I then plug the original cable that came with the mount into that socket.

Cigarette lighter connection do have a reputation for not being totally reliable (though I've not encountered any problems), so you might want to consider a more direct connection, though you will want to include an in-line fuse in the arrangement - that is one advantage of still using the original cable, in that it has a fuse built into the cigarette light plug.

The PSU that I mentioned has dual output so I have one output dedicated to the mount and the second output provides power for everything else.

Maplin 41W DC Fixed Voltage Bench Power Supply

Code: XM20W

★★★★★★★★★★5 out of 5 stars. Read reviews.

(1)
Write a review. This action will open a modal dialog.
Ask a question
  • Fixed 13.8V regulated bench power supply
  • Ideally suited for CB and PMR radio applications
  • Useful when bench testing and setting up in 

Would this be ok.

2 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Right ok,the mount is new to me,due to come today,so i buy a bench supply and a cigarette style socket that the mount cable will connect to and i will be good to go.

Yes, just be careful you get the polarity correct when wiring up the socket.  There is many a tale of woe, where folks have got this the wrong way round and fried the motherboard on the mount.

8 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Maplin 41W DC Fixed Voltage Bench Power Supply

Code: XM20W

★★★★★★★★★★5 out of 5 stars. Read reviews.

(1)
Write a review. This action will open a modal dialog.
Ask a question
  • Fixed 13.8V regulated bench power supply
  • Ideally suited for CB and PMR radio applications
  • Useful when bench testing and setting up in 

Would this be ok.

IIRC, the NEQ6 draws around 2A when slewing and if it were me I would go for one that has a bit more capacity than 41W (which is 3A).  There are a couple of models in the same range that supply 5A & 7A for just a few quid more.

3 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

i am a bit green on electronics.....will i know + and - on the cigarette cable that i have to get.

The connection is centre positive: 

If you're unsure about wiring it up yourself, then perhaps consider something like this PSU which has a built-in socket: http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/ps1306c/bench-psu-cigar-socket/dp/IN02429

If the original cable isn't long enough to reach between your mount and PSU, you could buy a cigarette socket extension cable, and there would be no need for any DIY wiring.

Archived