SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi I am new to astrophotography and photography in general. I have a celestron 130 slt and a nikon d5300 with t ring and extension tube, I am able to connect this all up and focus on planets when the are very small I get little to no detail as it gets blurry when I use higher lenses so I was wondering is it possible to use the lens (18-55mm) I got with my nikon aswell to zoom in when I have clear small image? Thanks

Hi, and welcome... :)

in a nut shell you can't use your lens and the telescope, the telescope acts as the lens...so it's one or the other, but you could try a Barlow lens on the front of the camera, then pop it all into the scope focuser, a 2x Barlow will double whatever magnification you already have...

Hope that helps a bit...

3 hours ago, Xomackemox said:

Hi I am new to astrophotography and photography in general. I have a celestron 130 slt and a nikon d5300 with t ring and extension tube, I am able to connect this all up and focus on planets when the are very small I get little to no detail as it gets blurry when I use higher lenses so I was wondering is it possible to use the lens (18-55mm) I got with my nikon aswell to zoom in when I have clear small image? Thanks

It's not possible to use the lense as the scope is the lense..as you have found out on planets it's not quite doing it for you..why not try deep sky..i take it's a tracking mount with motors? Maybe keep the exposures short and choose bright nebula at first..

Hi thanks for the replies i have a 2x 3x and a 5x barlow and the celestron eyepiece and filter kit (This was taken with a 2x Barlow and a 8mm). The planets is what i wanted to picture first i did use pipp to convert the file to avi and stabilize the the video then used redistax 6 to get best (55%) frames but as you can see it's not the best and very unnatural  

saturn.bmp

3 hours ago, LightBucket said:

Hi, and welcome... :)

in a nut shell you can't use your lens and the telescope, the telescope acts as the lens...so it's one or the other, but you could try a Barlow lens on the front of the camera, then pop it all into the scope focuser, a 2x Barlow will double whatever magnification you already have...

Hope that helps a bit...

thanks for clarifying that i'll stop searching for a lens t ring lol the way i did it tell me if im wrong i started with a 2x barlow with the 25mm in the extender then removed the extender and went to the 17 then 13  but after that i cant get focused and the image is still small compared to what ive seen with the same hardware and i see people are able to zoom in when recording (was i better off buying the celestron NexImage?)

As said you do not use the whole DSLR for imaging, it is in effect body only. To attach DSLR to the scope you need a T-ring for the DSLR and what is called a nose piece to screw into the T-ring and slide into the focuser. So = Scope+nose piece + T-ring +DSLR.

Then you want an Intervalometer for the DSLR - Nikon ones can be a problem, ones from Amazon are about £20.

You set the DSLR to manual and you set everything, ISO, Exposure length, focus everything.

You program the Intervalometer to get say 10 exposures at say 30 seconds duration and you center and track (equitorially) the target, and press the go button on the intervalometer, the wait. Besides the exposure time you need to seet a wait time after the exposure to allow the sensor to cool and also the DSLR to write the data. So your 30 second exposures will take say 60 seconds. Images should be taken in RAW mode not the normal jpeg - set DSLR to this also. RAW files are big.

At the end you have 10 exposures of 30 seconds in RAW mode to take home and stack.

Bit simple and there are Darks but they are easy. Change nothing on the camera and alter the Intervalometer to take say 5 (half as many) exposures, Put lens cap on DSLR, put DSLR in fridge, press the Intervalometer go button and close the fridge door. Make coffee. After 5 mintuse you have a few darks to include in the stack.

Problem you may get is not being able to reach focus. The DSLR is mechanically located differently to an eyepiece, if so you may need to adjust the scope. But find out first.

Archived