Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focuser upgrade for Lunt 50

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but I couldn't work out where it should go and decided that in the solar imaging section would reach the right people!

I am looking at upgrading the helical focuser on my Lunt LS50THa to either the Moonlite or Feathertouch dedicated focuser. The Feathertouch is in stock with FLO and is cheaper than the Moonlite, but doesn't have the dual speed control. Is there any reason why the Moonlite is better and worth the extra time and money? I will be using the scope for both visual and imaging. Currently I have an ASI120 camera, but that may well be upgraded in the near future too. I read that the inward focus is better with the Feathertouch - this could be the most significant thing ultimately. 

Anyway, please let me know why I shouldn't hit the buy button on the Feathertouch today and be enjoying the new focuser this weekend?!

Thank you!

Both very good focusers. The dual speed isn't a necessity. And, I believe, you win a few precious mm of back focus with the Feathertouch. If that isn't critical for your eyepieces and camera then you have the choice of the two. But I believe if you want to win those extra mm the Feathertouch is the one to consider...

I read a thread a while back where @DRT was looking into the back focus differences and highlighted the minute, but maybe important, differences...

2 hours ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

Both very good focusers. The dual speed isn't a necessity. And, I believe, you win a few precious mm of back focus with the Feathertouch. If that isn't critical for your eyepieces and camera then you have the choice of the two. But I believe if you want to win those extra mm the Feathertouch is the one to consider...

I read a thread a while back where @DRT was looking into the back focus differences and highlighted the minute, but maybe important, differences...

Thank you for your helpful reply. I've looked for DRT's post, but can't find anything. Anyway, I am now one step closer to hitting the buy button for the Feathertouch.

I agree with @Stargazer McCabe that the dual speed is unnecessary on this scope. The FeatherTouch is very solid and easy to use and I really don't see the need to spend more on the Moonlite.

The FT has exactly the same inward focus as the stock helical focuser but an extra 7mm on the way out.

1 minute ago, DRT said:

I agree with @Stargazer McCabe that the dual speed is unnecessary on this scope. The FeatherTouch is very solid and easy to use and I really don't see the need to spend more on the Moonlite.

The FT has exactly the same inward focus as the stock helical focuser but an extra 7mm on the way out.

Derek, thank you for your reply and the link to your thread. I'm relieved that you rate the Feathertouch as I hit the buy button earlier today for one!! I look forward to installing it on the scope and with any luck, there will be a bit of clear sun over the coming weekend...

2 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Derek, thank you for your reply and the link to your thread. I'm relieved that you rate the Feathertouch as I hit the buy button earlier today for one!! I look forward to installing it on the scope and with any luck, there will be a bit of clear sun over the coming weekend...

I am certain you will be pleased with it, Gav. The stock focuser always disappointed me on such a great quality OTA and when I eventually pulled the trigger I was very pleased with the result. If Lunt and SI could find a way to make this a stock item for around £100-£150 extra  it would be a great move IMHO.

Archived