Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Collimation Advice for Meade LX200R 12" f/10

I have been chasing a good collimation for a week now. When using high powered eyepiece they don't look like this below.  The centration is the same but, it is filled with eye reflections etc. This is with a 4X Powermate and ASI 174 M/C camera. When I focus in on the star the Airy Disk is hard to see due to seeing I hope or I'm still not collimated fully. The first is the defocused star and the second is focused. Advice/comments are welcome . I'm seeking feedback on whether I have achieved a good collimation. My planetary targets were either down or oculted by objects.

Capture_0016.png

Capture_0004.png

Close, but not close enough for a 12" SCT in my view. The secondary obstruction shadow is slightly displaced towards the right of the image. Collimation is best done with a small amount of defocusing. I have had better success with collimating on a planet as the disc is less affected by seeing than a star. With a slight defocus a planet will start to develop a ghost image round it, the concentricity of this ghost image is a measure of the accuracy. Worth a try.   :icon_biggrin:

Archived