Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

oacapture 1.1.0 released

JamesF

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you very much James for fixing my Raspberry Pi install. I'm using a ZWO ASI120mm (USB2 version) and whilst oacapture runs, and happily connects to the camera, i do not appear to be capturing any images, well apart from a black screen.

This may related to the thread on the ZWO forum: http://zwoug.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6279&p=9968#p9968

..however following the same instructions on the pi (appreciate the thread is MAC explicit) provides no resolution in my case.

Does anyone have a similar setup working successfully, pi+ZWO ASI120?

thanks

On 7/7/2017 at 17:56, JamesF said:

Have you enabled demosaic of the preview image in Settings->Demosaic and then checked "Demosaic" in the Options menu?

James

I had tried all of the settings but didn't realize that you had to enable it in the options menu.  Did that and voila I had colour.  Just out of curiosity why is there no hue etc adjustments?

Fred

1 minute ago, fearless8328 said:

I had tried all of the settings but didn't realize that you had to enable it in the options menu.  Did that and voila I had colour.  Just out of curiosity why is there no hue etc adjustments?

It's an awkward one to know how to deal with.  Sometimes it's handy to be able to switch demosaic on and off quickly just for the preview window, but it's not as intuitive as I'd like it to be.

If there are no hue adjustments it's (hopefully) probable that the camera doesn't offer the control, which doesn't mean that (for example) the Windows driver or other application might not fake them up in software.  Actually, there's another possibility, which is that the functionality is implemented using some private method that Imaging Source have not disclosed, but I'm not convinced by that.

Requests have already been made for functionality to post-process the preview display by changing gamma values etc., so if you'd like to add something to the queue for that by all means create an issue for it on github or add to the one that has already been raised.

James

7 hours ago, snowy911 said:

Thank you very much James for fixing my Raspberry Pi install. I'm using a ZWO ASI120mm (USB2 version) and whilst oacapture runs, and happily connects to the camera, i do not appear to be capturing any images, well apart from a black screen.

This may related to the thread on the ZWO forum: http://zwoug.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6279&p=9968#p9968

..however following the same instructions on the pi (appreciate the thread is MAC explicit) provides no resolution in my case.

Does anyone have a similar setup working successfully, pi+ZWO ASI120?

thanks

Thought I'd leave you with a little surprise once I had it compiling correctly :)

I think the Mac issue is a red herring.  There were all sorts of problems with OSX at one point because Apple completely rewrote the USB layer and broke a load of stuff in the process.

The main problem with the RPi that comes to mind is the throughput of the USB subsytem, which certainly isn't great on the ones I've used.  You may need to tinker with the USB traffic settings and reduce the image size to get started.  I tend to begin with the lens in the camera and point it at something easy to focus on, reduce the image size to, say, 800x600 or somewhere around there and fiddle with the USB traffic setting until I start getting frames through.

James

Thanks James, issue was the firmware I had installed on the camera, changed from the ZWO site and it worked... for a couple of hours.  Now getting the below whenever I connect the camera.  I didn't change much except permissions on the var/www/html folder so that oaCapture could write to it, and hence the image could be accessed via the all sky website I'm plotting!

pi@raspberrypi:~/oacapture-1.1.0 $ ./oacapture/oacapture
ASSERT failure in QList<T>::operator[]: "index out of range", file /usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qlist.h, line 477
Aborted

Let me know if there's anything obvious here which I'm missing.

thanks

Julian

Perhaps not the most helpful of error messages though.  It would be good to make that more obvious.  What had to changed the permissions of?  The directory to write into?

James

Hi James, I have to sudo ./oacapure now, where previously I could just ./oacapture to run.  If I follow the later the application starts, but the text in the app is a light grey shade, and if you connect the camera it crashes.

If you 'sudo' the application starts and the text in the toolbar is black and runs as you'd expect.  I'm sure there's a simple way to change permissions to resolve this, but for now it's no hardship and it works.  The danger is I cause more damage, which is probably inevitable if I start tinkering more....!

Julian

Archived