Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focus tube slipping on Skywatcher 130pds with camera set up

I am imaging on a SKywatcher 130pds newtonian but the issue is my new camera setup (QHY163m plus filter wheel) weighs around 900g. I have a motorised autofocuser on the skywatcher crayford focuser so locking the focuser isn't an option. I am relying on the friction of the clutch to hold it all. Problem is, it isn't totally secure. I either tighten the clutch too tightly and nothing moves, or I loosen it and the tube is prone to slipping during the night.

I could look at a moonlite system but it seems OTT to shell out over £700 for an autofocus with focuser to put onto a £200 scope. My next plan is to hand the camera from the underside of the tube and use an elastic band to relieve the tension (and effectively 'reduce' the weight of the camera system).

Surely others are imaging using similar setups so what ideas do you all have? I'd prefer to use the auto focuser as I want to focus in between filter changes and I like imaging from indoors :)

Archived