Narrowband

Lagoon naked eye

jetstream

After a strategy mistake with the scopes last session, I put the VX10 in the strike zone for the bright lower split in the Milky Way and man did it strut its stuff. The sky offered intense structure in the Milky Way tonight after the storm and the Lagoon shone as a bright patch naked eye in my intended target area- a really good sign. You know the Lagoon nebula is such a detailed object with its crossing of dark lanes in it and the 21E and 30 ES chewed this object up nicely- kudos going to the Lumicon OIII and UHC!

Up to the Swan, what a bright sight! no filter needed here either but the UHC showed extensive nebulosity surrounding the Swan feature... Lagoon's, Swans Trifids all were floating about ready for us to see here, and see well.

I tried some toughish no filter objects, the North American neb, the Pacman, Veil, Pickerings Wisp, Crescent - all were easily seen. IC1318 co- operated tonight showing its track like feature (UHC). Come to think of it I revisited the Scorpion and associated Bubble neb but my prize was viewing the good old Lobster Claw area- this can be tough but with so much to see. Near the end of the session I said hello to "ET" in Cass as well as the Rosette and not forgetting the prop in M13 again! what a jingle jangle of stars.

If you get a chance try the section of the MW where the Lagoon and Swan live... you won't be disappointed!:thumbsup:

I think what makes this area of sky so special is how rarely we get to see it well from the UK.

A good dark sky with a unobstructed southern view coupled with a transparent summer night that is actually dark can make for a session that will be etched into ones memory for years IMO.

I think for me the triffid is the highlight. Those dust lanes are just OMG in a large aperture scope. Ramp the power up,  fill your eyepiece right up and prepare to spend a few hours looking for your socks afterwards cause they are gonna get blown right off :D 

You're right Steve ...how many views of M42 live long in the memory?...caught the swan at Elan last year Gerry along with the pond, boat and fishermen next to it!!... The extent of it using different filters was quite interesting...yet to bag the lagoon...keep 'em going mate..clear skies!

It is an awesome region. Once in Southern France I gave a cheap pair of 15x70s on a tripod to my eldest son, and advised him to point it in that general area, and alert me whenever he found something non-stellar. He bagged 17 Messiers and a little NGC cluster that night (including some elsewhere in the sky, like M31) in short order. Finding DSOs in that region is like shooting fish in a barrel

Great report Gerry! I've had a few opportunities to observe this area and all have been fabulous. Normally with a small widefield frac, but also the a C8 once. Need to get the C925 down south this summer :)

Awesome work Gerry! Very nice! 

I remember the view of the Lagoon on the Dolomites two years ago. Stunning with just a 60mm telescope. I can just imagine the level of additional details visible with a 10" under really dark skies! :) 

Like Steve says, put a large aperture scope on the Triffid and hold on! This object is the perfect size for big dobs IMHO and is really detailed. The whole area is full of nebulae including VDB's and B's. I saw a couple of VDB's, not exactly sure which ones though- I caught them sky cruising.

• 2 weeks later...

Just catching up on the observing section and what a cracking report to read.

Wish these objects would rise a little higher but I'm hoping to get out soon and try for a few of them. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived