Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrozap dew shield

When I observed from a city balcony with my 8" newt I used a celestron dewshield and it was absolutely essential... I had light coming at me from all angles and it really helped to have the sheild. Also helps to flock the section of tube opposite the focuser.

I use dew shields on my 10" and 16" dobs to reduce stray light.  They definitely improve the contrast, especially on DSOs (try viewing an object and pulling the dew shield off whilst viewing - you should see a difference).  Maybe not so much needed for planetary but even then it's nice to have a dark background.

The more light pollution you have, the more effect you are likely to see.

Another thing that will help is flocking the inside of the tube with sticky back velour flocking from First Light Optics or similar.  Very easy to work with and you don't have to do the whole tube.  The area opposite the focuser is the most important.  

7 hours ago, Commanderfish said:

Another thing that will help is flocking the inside of the tube with sticky back velour flocking from First Light Optics or similar.  Very easy to work with and you don't have to do the whole tube.  The area opposite the focuser is the most important.  

Thanks for your feedback! :)

I already flocked the area opposite the focuser and as you say the difference is noticeable on all targets I have to say. 

19 minutes ago, jetstream said:

I need one to keep that dang light from the Milky Way from washing out my targets :hiding::grin:

Hey! Stop teasing us with your super skies, Gerry! :evil4:  :) 

Here lots of rain today :clouds2: maybe the dew shield works as rain shield too..!

Archived