Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing Chair/Stool

Richard Hather

Hi peeps, just had my second session with my 12" dobsonian Which was fantastic but the stool I have isn't tall enough and some of the options are a little pricey.

Im not skilled enough to make my own but I'm wondering what other members do to be comfortable during those long observations of a particular object.

Sorry Richard. It's that long ago that I don't have a link. I just opened Amazon and did a search. There were quite a few on sale if I remember correctly. I also looked at drummers stools, but decided on the ironing stool as it folds down well for storage.  

IMG_0321.JPG

4 minutes ago, ronl said:

I have one of these, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leifheit-Multi-Seat-Niveau-White/dp/B0000DH7KA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1498498098&sr=8-7&keywords=ironing+stool

I have been using it for over 4 years, I have modified it slightly by making the back plate a bit bigger, and enlarging the seat,

and more padding too, wouldn't be without it.

Thank you I will take a look at it before making a purchase, I would be interested to see a photo of the modified ironing stool if that's ok ?

I use an Ironing Board Stool and also a Drummer's Throne for observing. Check your local Charity shops, as often you can find a bargain there. I found and paid a fiver or less for each one of these while looking for old Astronomy books.

PICT0002 (Medium).JPG

I've got an ironing stool here too, the slight issue with mine is that to change the height requires me to undo a big hand tightened screw and put it back in again after height adjustment.  However, it is great when I want something high.  In fact for £10 each I also got a couple of adjustable height white plastic bar stools from ebay - they are respectably weather proof, I have one set low, one set high and the ironing stool set very high - I just then sit on the most appropriate one for the viewing target.

I know the op is looking more for diy or low cost ideas but for what it's worth I've got a sky watcher observing chair. it doesn't fit together well and dosesnt feel very robust or quality controlled, but I have to admit it is functionally excellent,   has a long travel from low to high, I use it all the time, and it is still working fine.

Not cheap at all (at the  moment 238€ for the Magnum version); but might be the ultimate solution, even for observing with bigger dobs:

DSC_0587.thumb.JPG.bc74c2bb88e2f592c1d5f093cb8377df.JPG

The "Füssener Astro-Stuhl", developed 2005 by the Füssener Stargazer's group( with a lot of experience and knowledge of a stargazer's needs).

Very stable (up to 100 kg load), with adjustable seat heights from 31 up to 115 cm. The lower board, usually a footrest,  serves as a step, when I'm observing with the 18", whilst standing, near the zenith. I'm feeling quite comfortable, relaxed and safe, when sitting on the top board at maximal height. You can even stretch it out for observing reclined, with bins, or naked eye for meteor showers.

Got mine as a family gift for my 60. birthday as a "retirement chair", ordered here:

www.intercon-spacetec.de/zubehoer/astronomie-zubehoer/stuehle/3261-fuessener-astro-stuhl-mag

Might also be an interesting DIY project (or carpenter's work).

Stephan

I've had my ironing stool observing chair for about 10 years.  I replaced the seat with a homemade one to better suit my somewhat expansive derriere. I also replaced the bolt on the height adjustable with a long coach bolt with the threaded bit cut off.  Adjusting the height of the seat is now very quick and simply

IMG_20170630_142924815.jpg

IMG_20170630_142936348.jpg

IMG_20170630_142948038_HDR.jpg

Archived