Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Creating a mosaic in Astro Pixel Processor

This is the latest in my videos regarding Astro Pixel processor. I will add at this point that I am not getting any kind of kick back from the developers...... I just find this to be very simple to use software and it has created a fantastic mosaic in minutes and with minimal hassle, unlike the competition out there. I kid you not... this is FANTASTIC

If you're interested in how it's done then the video is below. I hope that it helps people who are looking at this. I also have more videos from starters with APP.

Super video, Sara, and super-looking software.

Some thoughts: a couple of days ago I put together a 9 panel Ha of the NAN using Registar. I calibrated and stacked the lights for each panel, edge-cropped them and gave them, still linear, to Registar. In about two minutes it trotted out a linear mosaic which, when stretched very hard, was perfectly seamless. So far so good. But...

The geometry of the resulting image is dependent on the choice of reference frame. What should happen is that the software should register all panels to a coherent geometrical model, a model based upon the centre of the image. It seems that this does happen in APP, which is brilliant.

However, suppose you then shoot another set of lights in a different filter. Will APP produce an identical geometrical model with the next set of lights so that the two mosaics fit each other perfectly?

Seamlessness: I find that Registar has little difficulty with Ha but a lot of difficulty with RGB. I guess the Ha filter excludes all the kind of light which produces gradients, giving the blending software an easy time of it. When I mosaic RGB I first run DBE and SCNR green on each panel to get them colour calibrated and gradient free. How would you do this in APP? Perhaps, instead of working from linear raw, you'd make and calibrate all your panels, DBE them, edge crop them and then give them to APP?

Would you do RGB as RGB or make a red mosaic, a green mosaic etc?

Colour is the acid test, I think.

Olly

Hi Sara, many thanks for taking the time to make this excellent tutorial. APP does look very impressive indeed - I tend to make my mosaics in PS with non-linear data which can be a real faff. The way APP deals with calibration, registration and stitching keeping everything in the linear domain is excellent! :icon_biggrin:

Archived