Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AR 2664

astroavani

3fd7cece5bb2e387b083407065f17b9b.16536x1
Testing the new setup for the first time. SCT Celestron C8 f / 20 with solar leaf Baader plus sunscreen continuum. Before, I used a 120mm f / 6.9 acro refractor. It was a big change of aperture and focal length.
Many details on the sunspots but what pleased me most was that for the first time I captured the convection cells quite clearly.
Http://www.astrobin.com/full/300902/B/?real=&mod=

Very nice indeed. A lot of detail captured. I find it is not always easy to combine the solar film and solar continuum filters in my C8, I sometimes get internal reflections, unless I carefully tilt the solar film filter, especially when using a PowerMate or TeleXtender. Did you need to tilt the solar film?

17 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Very nice indeed. A lot of detail captured. I find it is not always easy to combine the solar film and solar continuum filters in my C8, I sometimes get internal reflections, unless I carefully tilt the solar film filter, especially when using a PowerMate or TeleXtender. Did you need to tilt the solar film?

To be honest I did not worry about that Michel! It was the first time I used this solar setup, before using a 120mm refractor.
I did not notice any internal reflection and as you saw I used PM 2X as well.
I have been studying a lot about solar and what I have done that I did not mention there and that I use a Luminance filter combined with the Solar Continuum. I learned that Baader's solar continuum shows a certain leak in the IR that degenerates the photos. So using a Luminance filter that is also a UV-IR block helps to solve the problem.

3 hours ago, astroavani said:

To be honest I did not worry about that Michel! It was the first time I used this solar setup, before using a 120mm refractor.
I did not notice any internal reflection and as you saw I used PM 2X as well.
I have been studying a lot about solar and what I have done that I did not mention there and that I use a Luminance filter combined with the Solar Continuum. I learned that Baader's solar continuum shows a certain leak in the IR that degenerates the photos. So using a Luminance filter that is also a UV-IR block helps to solve the problem.

I also used a luminance filter, and the extra flat surfaces can create extra problems. Anyway, the last time I sorted it by a slight tilt of the film, so it is solvable.

Fantastic first results there Avani. As you say that's quite a step up in resolution & it clearly shows.

I have been thinking of betting a suitable ERF for my SCT but making it usable with the 152mm frac by using a 'reducer ring' of sorts, images like these from the SCT make me want to save harder ;-)

Well done.

Thanks Ruud,Ewan and Tyson!

Ewan, using an ERF is an interesting solution if you already own an SCT, they perform very well on lots. Another option is to use a Baader solar sheet but everything will depend on what you want to do.

Archived