Narrowband

WO Star71 vII. How does it compare to vI?

Hi all,

I am seriously considering getting a 'tuned and checked' Star 71. From what I can tell, the main difference is it now has 4 lenses instead of 5 in its previous version. I also see that it is being marketed in the UK as having a 30mm imaging circle for APS-C DSLR's whereas the specs on WO's website say it has a 45mm circle that will give a flat field on Full frame DSLR's.

I cannot find any reviews of the scope or indeed any images from the VII. Does anyone have any experience with the scope with imaging and any images they can point me towards? I would be using it just for imaging with APS-C DSLR's (Canon).

Thanks, Tim. 

I would say my V2 is slightly better than my V1 in terms of star shapes.  This is an image combining V1 and V2 data - https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/295500-pelican-in-ha-first-real-test-of-dual-rig/ - but if you scroll down a bit you can see the individual stacks - V1 is the 3nm, V2 the 5nm.  

I am pleased with mine.  I had 2 x V1s that were terrible, so I cannot tell if I got lucky with my first V2, or if WO have cracked whatever the issue was before.

38 minutes ago, StargeezerTim said:

Hi all,

I am seriously considering getting a 'tuned and checked' Star 71. From what I can tell, the main difference is it now has 4 lenses instead of 5 in its previous version. I also see that it is being marketed in the UK as having a 30mm imaging circle for APS-C DSLR's whereas the specs on WO's website say it has a 45mm circle that will give a flat field on Full frame DSLR's.

I cannot find any reviews of the scope or indeed any images from the VII. Does anyone have any experience with the scope with imaging and any images they can point me towards? I would be using it just for imaging with APS-C DSLR's (Canon).

Thanks, Tim. 

Does this mean you might be selling the 72ED-R Tim?

43 minutes ago, gnomus said:

I would say my V2 is slightly better than my V1 in terms of star shapes.  This is an image combining V1 and V2 data - https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/295500-pelican-in-ha-first-real-test-of-dual-rig/ - but if you scroll down a bit you can see the individual stacks - V1 is the 3nm, V2 the 5nm.  

I am pleased with mine.  I had 2 x V1s that were terrible, so I cannot tell if I got lucky with my first V2, or if WO have cracked whatever the issue was before.

Thanks for that, it is very helpful. Tim. 

15 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:

Does this mean you might be selling the 72ED-R Tim?

Possibly Mark, I havn't yet decided whether I would sell or keep it for mainly visual observing. I have two mounts so I could image with one and observe with the other. The 72ED-R is a really sturdy, well made and easy to use scope but I would think a Star 71 would give better star shapes across the image. The trouble with keeping it just for observing is that I have invested in a flattener (Hotech) and a Reducer (Lightwave) that would gather dust so I might be better off selling it as a package. Tim. 

3 hours ago, StargeezerTim said:

Thanks for that, it is very helpful. Tim. 

Possibly Mark, I havn't yet decided whether I would sell or keep it for mainly visual observing. I have two mounts so I could image with one and observe with the other. The 72ED-R is a really sturdy, well made and easy to use scope but I would think a Star 71 would give better star shapes across the image. The trouble with keeping it just for observing is that I have invested in a flattener (Hotech) and a Reducer (Lightwave) that would gather dust so I might be better off selling it as a package. Tim. 

If you do Tim, drop me a msg please, i may be interested.

Archived