SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

This is a single 30 second shot. I'm new to this so my editing techniques are lacking or else it could probably come out better. I used a Nikon D5100 and a sigma 17-50mm f2.8 lens., ISO set to 2500.  

I created a mask to edit the foreground separately from the sky. As for the sky, with a 30 second exposure I had noticeable star trails which I tried to reduce with a darken blending mode. Other than that it is just simple curves stretch to make the fireflies pop a little bit more and I reduced the vignetting from my camera lens.

594ea7eb45570_FireFlyWaltz.thumb.jpg.b8e82604350bc96d6ac37dd2352da9d4.jpg

In the northern part of the state of Maine west of a town called Portage there is a clearing on the top of a hill where I take my telescope for dark skies, this night I noticed a bunch of fireflies and thought I would try taking a picture. Took me 35 shots to get this one, all the others only had about half the number of fireflies.

Archived