SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from a newbie!

Astro-Nat

Hello from Kent!

I am a very keen newbie to astronomy, beginning when I was lucky enough to view the total eclipse from Torshavn in the Faroe Islands back in 2015. I will never forget the immense sense of awe and amazement when the Moon covered the Sun, and have been hooked ever since. As soon as I got home from that trip, I started watching the skies through binoculars, but two weeks ago, I took the plunge and bought my first telescope, plumping for a Celestron Astro-Fi 130mm Computerised Newtonian Reflector, which is now my total pride and joy. I accompanied it with an Altair Astro mono camera, as having a background in photography, I am very tempted to start imaging. Of course, the great British weather has laughed in the face of my newly acquired scope and enthusiasm, and served up many a cloudy night since, it's not all as glamorous as viewing an eclipse under perfect conditions! I have certainly spent more time shaking my fist at the sky than viewing anything in it so far, but the snatches of clarity I've had have more than made up for it. I saw Saturn for the first time a few nights ago, and last night saw Jupiter, along with Ganymede, Io, Callisto and Europa. The detail, for me, was mind blowing, although almost certainly below average for an experienced astronomer. Please excuse me for being a little hyperbolic, but I found it absolutely magical. I can't wait to get out again tonight, and continue exploring our amazing universe.

Sorry for rambling on, I just wanted to pop in, introduce myself, and forewarn all you lovely folk that there will probably be many questions to come as I keep exploring!

Hello and welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy your time with us, nice to hear you

had your first view Jupiter and Saturn, a real Wow moment that stays with you for ever.

Clear Sky's. ? ?

Archived