Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Milky Way from Spain

carastro

This is the first acceptable Milky Way I have done since starting imaging in 2008. Always had trouble with focus, but knowing I had a holiday in Spain coming up, I got myself an Ioptron Skytracker for travel and did a bit of of practising before I left. 

Stayed with some friends who have an apartment by the beach south of Estepona. It was still rather LP as I could not see the Milky Way. There were lights from the other apartments and also lights along the beach path which I managed to block out with various items. 

On 16th June I took this image with the Nifty 50 lens on a Canon 1100D and the Ioptron Skytracker 16 x 1 min subs. 

7fbfa54fc09bf250963742531c7c3d95.1824x0_

Then a few days later I took another part of the Milky way, this time the Core of the galaxy, PA seemed to go well so I risked 4min exposures with same kit as above - 5 x 4mins. 

N.B. This was not a dark site, I could not see the milky way and it was lucky i could "just" see polaris over the top of the apartments.  I also had to block out lights along the beach path and contend with a number of lights from other apartment terraces.

That bright blob on the right is Saturn in long exposure.

d894e2a4f1314f931de966a5670e7b01.1824x0_

I then attempted to make them into a mosaic. This was tricky due to the different length exposures and differing gradients and processing, I combined them manually - here is the result:

Carole

70759696346814ae1c19313a156d908e.1824x0_

Finally I also took the Antares Region and for fun added that to the MW mosaic above.  I did not bother to try to match the images as they were too different, and hide the join, it was just for perspective.

2bbbb770796d1d1b74f1d9c2d8072fba.1824x0_

hoping to have a go at the MW using the SW Star Adventurer at Cairds next month.

It's a nice dark site Dave.  But obviously a higher latitude than where I was imaging.  

Carole 

23 minutes ago, carastro said:

It's a nice dark site Dave.  But obviously a higher latitude than where I was imaging.  

Carole 

I can just see Antares through the trees if I stand on tip toe on my patio so must be better than that :grin:

Dave

My view

Antares.png.3324613e89a474cd1cad7f76f7cffb04.png

Those are remarkable results from a brightly lit beach region! Realt great. I'm sure that the Rho panel could be 'made to behave' and joing up seamlessly.

Thanks Olly.  I might have another "go" at matching up the Antares region pane when I have recovered from the journey home and 2 days processing.  

I can just see Antares through the trees if I stand on tip toe on my patio so must be better than that :grin:

Yes you can see the whole of scorpius Dave, but it's down in the crud as I found out to my cost when i tried the Antares region last time I was there.  But maybe worth a try.

Carole 

Thanks Chris and Barry.  

I had no idea what sort of skies I would be facing before I went.  Or what light pollution locally, or even if I would be able to see Polaris, but thought if I don't take the kit I will most likely regret it when I get there.

Staying with non astronomical friends they would not understand the requirements.  However they were very good letting me utilise their terrace and various items to make it all work and having their lights dimmed down in the lounge and turned off on their terrace for 3 evenings during the stay (they had no curtains on the lounge windows, so I had the TV to contend with too).  

Carole 

Archived