Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first attempt at imaging jupiter.

Ahgii

Hello, last night i went out to image jupiter for the first time, on my phone and i was determined to get a good result, seeing that other people managed to avoid the bright white spot problem. Even after initial processing the planet looked blue and i got some advice from the community that was helpful. So, this is my result, please leave some feedback...

jupiter processed 2.png

1 minute ago, DaveTp said:

Great smart phone image! how did you process it?

Well firstly i took a video on my iphone that had BARELY any visible detail, i pre-proccesed it trought PIPP so it was steady and it was AVI, since the raw phone format crashes registax, then i got the better frames and stacked them, but after that the planet was blue and i went in and out of registax and/ or gimp until i got the right balance to look natural. The only thing that i couldn't do is make the great red spot look red, but i saw some pictures where it was diffrent colors. Tonight i plan on doing saturn, clear skies!

As a person that also does his fair share of imaging through my phone, I'm incredibly impressed with the level of detail you got! It's pretty rare to get the bands to show up through a phone...maybe the iphone is just superior to my galaxy in that regard.

7 minutes ago, GoodOleJim said:

As a person that also does his fair share of imaging through my phone, I'm incredibly impressed with the level of detail you got! It's pretty rare to get the bands to show up through a phone...maybe the iphone is just superior to my galaxy in that regard.

When i first started out imaging planets with my phone i was very dissapointed that i got a white  ball, i don't think there is a big diffrence between mine and your camera, just get a good app that can change the exposure settings. I used the stock camera app taking a video with a moon filter on and in the video i had to squint to see detail, but after i stacked it and i messed around with the wavelet on registax i wouldnt believe how there was so much detail. I was very surprised myself. However the planet ended up looking blue so i had to mess around with RGB and all that. Clear skies! Edit: and also if you want registax not to crash and the image to look steady pre-process with PIPP, it helps a lot,optimise for planetary and convert the video into avi format, after that you should be all set.

On 24/06/2017 at 15:16, GoodOleJim said:

The iPhone 6 is definitely better than the Galaxy s5! I installed "Open Camera" on my Samsung thinking it might help but no, Jupiter still looked like a big bright ball. There are no photo Apps on Hubby's iPhone (yet) but I have achieved some images I am pleased with including Jupiter showing it's bands although they are faint.

2 hours ago, Shera said:

The iPhone 6 is definitely better than the Galaxy s5! I installed "Open Camera" on my Samsung thinking it might help but no, Jupiter still looked like a big bright ball. There are no photo Apps on Hubby's iPhone (yet) but I have achieved some images I am pleased with including Jupiter showing it's bands although they are faint.

Well i used the stock camera app with video mode, a moon filter, and when neccesary, not in this case, i put the telescope cap on with just a little hole in it. I don't know the name of that.

8 hours ago, Shera said:

You're making me question my deep Samsung roots....

Archived