Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ethos 8mm packaging query?

Can anyone who owns an Ethos 8mm eyepiece please confirm if they come supplied with two pieces of shaped foam inside the televue box (to hold the eyepiece snug & protected) or have televue saved some money by just wrapping them in bubble wrap inside their box?

I have E21, E13 & E10 eyepieces and they all come with the white foam inside the televue box.

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Totally unable to answer - but I would ask TV via email.

I assume that you have a new E8 and it is bubble wrapped, and so are a little puzzled. The other reason to ask TV is that if new then you have evidence from TV that something is wrong/missing.

Would say I cannot see TV using bubble wrap on their eyepieces - except the plossl range. They would just lose too much credence by doing so.

Just checked my TV boxes:

Shaped foam inserts: 31 Nagler, 21 Ethos, 13 Ethos, 17.3 Delos and the 4.7 and 3.7 Ethos SX (now departed)

Bubble wrap layers: 8mm Ethos, 6mm Ethos, 2-4 Nagler zoom, 24 Panoptic.

I had to check because it's a long time since I looked at the packaging !

My Ethos 8mm arrived in a plain brown paper wrapper with "Low Cost Astro Supplies Ltd" printed on it. I was trying to avoid my local import "duty" ie: an ear bending about the costs of astro stuff and washing up duties for a week. It didn't work :embarassed:

2 hours ago, John said:

My Ethos 8mm arrived in a plain brown paper wrapper with "Low Cost Astro Supplies Ltd" printed on it. I was trying to avoid my local import "duty" ie: an ear bending about the costs of astro stuff and washing up duties for a week. It didn't work :embarassed:

I think just about everyone on the forum can sympathise with this! There's surely a competitive edge to be had by astronomy suppliers who use discreet packaging!

With such a high end and high cost eyepiece such as the Ethos ,then you would expect a bit more in the way of packaging and safety for the eyepiece from televue . Maybe televue could learn a trick from Pentax with the XW range. The Pentax XW comes with a outer box , but inside the box is a solid built bolt case with high density foam inserts for the eyepiece to sit in. I was very impressed with this set up the first time I looked at a XW. Surely with the cost of an Ethos there should be a similar set up in packaging for televue.

All of the TeleVue eyepieces which came to me in their original boxes were quite adequately packaged; the box is always very sturdy and if there's no foam cradle there's plenty of bubble wrap around it. It would seem all of the Ethos except for 6mm and 8mm come with a foam cradle, as did my 26mm T5 Nagler and the 41mm Panoptic; none of my Nagler Type 6 came with one, nor did either of the Nagler Zooms, nor the 24mm Panoptic, nor the 16mm Nagler Type 5. And guess what? No issues whatsoever. The sight of an open TeleVue box has always brought great joy.

:happy11:

Edit: Even my TV-60 came boxed in oversized bubble wrap. It really does work.

On 06/23/2017 at 14:45, Stargazer McCabe said:

Wow. For that money I'd have thought they all were "silk lined" boxes !!

The ongoing debate; are we paying for the silk-lined box, but not getting it? Or are we paying top money for top eyepieces? Or are they just overpriced?

In any case, I feel confident that whatever you get, you have truly paid for - including the bolt case from Pentax and the posh box from Explore Scientific.

:grin:

Really no issue what so ever with the way the Ethos 8mm is packaged. Besides the bubble wrap they are each contained within a substantially thick polythene bag. In fact these bags are quite useful to take to sessions such as somewhere to temporarily place unused eyepiece caps, 1.25" adapters, extension tubes etc. 

1 hour ago, iPeace said:

The ongoing debate; are we paying for the silk-lined box, but not getting it? Or are we paying top money for top eyepieces? Or are they just overpriced?

In any case, I feel confident that whatever you get, you have truly paid for - including the bolt case from Pentax and the posh box from Explore Scientific.

:grin:

So long as you're happy having parted with that amount of your hard earned, I guess that's all that matters...

No matter what others may think...

15 minutes ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

So long as you're happy having parted with that amount of your hard earned, I guess that's all that matters...

No matter what others may think...

I don't think others think badly of folks buying expensive equipment, do they ? :icon_scratch:

48 minutes ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

So where did anyone say anyone thought badly ??

Maybe others think they wished the could afford such eyepieces...

I must have misunderstood your line in your earlier post "No matter what others may think..."

Quite possibly. 

And maybe I should have been clearer myself. I think many realise how fabulous the eyepieces some like you and I are are able to buy and sell on a whim..,

But sometimes I see it from another perspective and that's when a thread questions "my Ethos came in bubble wrap"...

Some might love to peek through an Ethos let alone have one delivered in bubble wrap...

I've spent years in a part of the world where other walk miles to find drinking water. 

I'll duck out now...

Sorry for the misunderstanding 

I have never owned an Ethos or even looked through one. But a bit of bubble wrap for an eyepiece that costs a small fortune new ?

I am one of those who has to put up with those lower type eyepieces. I have to content myself with the Pentax XW and what a disappointment it is, Not ?

In performance terms, with the exception of the FoV, the Pentax XW is right up there with the Ethos, perhaps even a smidgin sharper ?

In comfort terms the XW exceeds the Ethos, especially if you wear glasses when observing.

Mind you, with regards to packaging, Takahashi eyepieces don't come with dust caps as standard and the ledgendary Zeiss ZAO orthos, which cost around Ethos prices (when available) just come in a simple plastic bag with a couple of simple dust caps:

756912-2.jpg

Archived