Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

EQ5 dead zone

AustinM

Hi guys,

This is my first post in here and apologies if someone has asked this question already but I have searched the forum for this answer and couldn't find one.

So the problem I have with my mount is that there is a few seconds lag (1-2 seconds) to control input on both RA and DEC axis when I switch the control input to the opposite direction. It happens when I use both the Skywatcher Dual Axis Motor drive kit or even the manual precise controls. There is a slight "give" in the mount when I move it by hand from side to side. It just seems sloppy, like there's too much room between the moving parts inside the mount itself.

My questions:

Is this "give" normal?

Can I fix it? 

Thanks for reading

Hi and thanks,

Yes I have checked all the adjustment knobs and locks are tight. It is a second hand mount and the previous owner actually wanted to sell it instead for a Dob and I fear he was using this mount in the same manner. Slewing the mount around with the locks on and possibly causing slight damage.

I noticed it most when I'm tracking an object to be photographed. The first image can have trails where this lag occurs and then on the frames afterwards there is no trailing because the mount has "caught up". It's not a crippling fault as it tracks fine once its past the dead zone but it's one I would like to fix to save me constantly having to take a test frame before I begin collecting proper data.

Cheers

Edited by AustinM

I think what you are describing is "backlash" which is an inherent feature of mechanisms with gears, as it is impossible to reduce the gaps between the gear teeth to zero without causing excessive stiffness. It may be possible to reduce it by adjustment, but in your case the best course would be to run the mount for long enough to take up the backlash before starting to photograph.  I get the same lag when reversing the slow motion on my mounts.

2 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I think what you are describing is "backlash" which is an inherent feature of mechanisms with gears, as it is impossible to reduce the gaps between the gear teeth to zero without causing excessive stiffness. It may be possible to reduce it by adjustment, but in your case the best course would be to run the mount for long enough to take up the backlash before starting to photograph.  I get the same lag when reversing the slow motion on my mounts.

Thanks! Thats exactly what it is and how I get around it. That's great news to hear because I was on the verge of buying a new one.

Thanks a lot for your responses :)

HI I would also make sure you balance you mount slightly heavier to one side. This puts force against the gears and helps with this. I always let the mount settle once in position and guiding for a few minutes before it start imaging.

• Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 16:35, spillage said:

HI I would also make sure you balance you mount slightly heavier to one side. This puts force against the gears and helps with this. I always let the mount settle once in position and guiding for a few minutes before it start imaging.

Yeas Ill try that, thanks for the idea!

Even with the backlash removed you can still get end float and other things going on. Loading the mount with the weight on the east side can remove the end float whilst loading the mount on the west will remove the backlash. You can adjust the worm gear for end float and gear mesh. This will then high light that the bearings are not the best either in the axels or the worms.

So with some tunning the mount can perform to a point but it does have issues. Learning to tune your mount is the way to go and it might take a while to sort things out but in the end it puts you in control.

Remember that most of this tunning can be done during the day.

• 1 year later...

You can adjust the mechanical backlash quite well on the eq5. BUT the motors themselves have a few seconds of backlash!!

If you unscrew the motor and run it by itself. Now set the rate to 2x on the  hand controller so the motor is running slow but you can still see it moving.

hit the left button on the dec motor and watch the cog move. Now hit the right button on the controller - you will see that the cog does not begin to move in the opposite direction for 2-3 seconds !!    So there is a large amount of backlash in the internal gears of the motor itself. I have just discovered this myself. Im thinking of looking for some replacement motors. Anyone found a solution for this??

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By deanchapman2705
      Hi, I'm new to this whole auto guiding thing so bare with me!
      So I have a iOptron SkyGuider Pro with a WO Zenithstar 61 and recently bought a ZWO ASI120MM Mini and guide scope to have a go at auto guiding. I followed tutorials online step by step (installing drivers, and changing the settings in PHD etc.) and managed to connect the camera and mount in PHD, start looping exposures and select a star. But when I start the calibration, it counts to 'west step 61' and comes up with "RA Calibration Failed: star did not move enough"
      I have tried reinstalling all drivers/software, using a different laptop and solutions other people have found do not help. Guide scope is focused and it's not trying to track a hot pixel.
      The star is supposed to move up and down as the mount moves during the calibration although nothing happens. So this makes me think there is something wrong with the mount or the ST4 cable from the camera to the mount. Cable securely clicks into both ends. I have heard the term "backlash" with mounts and not sure if this could be the cause? Not sure what this means or if this is possible with a star tracker?
      I can't seem to manually control the mount in PHD although I'm not sure what I'm doing. I can however, manually press the buttons on the mount itself and it moves fine.
      I've attached pictures of my setup along with the 'Guide Log' that people often ask for - PHD2_GuideLog_2021-08-23_225305.txt
      (Also, the total weight on the mount is 4.7kg and the max payload is 5kg for imaging so this should be fine?)
      Any Ideas? Let me know if you guys need anything else.
      Thanks,
      Dean

Setup:
      iOptron Skyguider Pro
      WO Zenithstar 61 ii
      Guide Camera: ZWO ASI120MM Mini
      Guide Scope: 32mm F4 (focal length - 125mm)

• By NorthernAstro
      Hello there,
      My synscan V3 handset is having issues in the goto settings, for example, it may be over 10 degrees out in azimuth and a few degrees out by altitude. For troubleshooting purposes and to save you from asking unnecessary questions, I have tried different locations and made comparisons, I have also tested multiple different targets. My location, date and time are also correct and to make sure, I have tried different variables to see if there is a difference but there is not, the handset is still out. I should also let you know that the difference between the real value and H.C. Value is not fixed and does vary. Help would be greatly appreciated as this has really puzzled me. I have updated the firmware and went to older versions - same issue. I have searched for this topic on the likes of YouTube and other forums and cannot find some information. Fingers crossed one of you can help me with this. 
      Thank you,
      Cai
    • By WiltsStarGazer
      Hi,
      Just got a s/h EQ5 go-to mount and am trying to align the polar scope.
      The guy I bought it from used a Pole Master camera for polar alignment and I thing he had removed the polar scope to use that.
      The problem I am having, apart from having no manuals and being unable to find any online, is the target in is not in 'clock' position, i.e. 0 at the top 6 at the bottom, when the mount is in 'home' position, and therefore I can't see how I can polar align, and I not can't see a way to adjust it to what I think is the correct position.
      Also the green 24 hour clock ring is very loose even though the polar scope is fully screwed in, is there something missing from the slot underneath, ( please see photos attached)?
      I can understand adjusting the three screws to center the polar scope in the mount and I think I can work out actual polar alignment, there are enough videos on line for that but this has me stumped.
      Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks

• By Quetzalcoatl72
      Below are consecutive raw pictures if the ring nebula I took with my canon 600da and RCT 8" with neq6 pro guided with sharpcaps polar alignment procedure on the 15th of this month at 1am. I have 20 of these all 1600 iso auto wb 2 minute exposures. The problem will become apparent when you closely examine them, tracking is almost completely broken. I only stacked about 8 of them as most of the frames are unusable, some are star trails, some are commas and some are double exposures. This has become standard and getting worse since I tampered with my mounts gears and backlash adjustment. I have never been able to get consecutive 3min exposures on this mount, and I got it new 6 years ago, and only used it less than 30 times. I have spent roughly 20 hours trying to get rid of the backlash, coffee grinding noise and knocking when I press the directional keys to no avail, when the keys are pressed I notice the image wobbles violently. The go-to is also not working to 100% efficiently, I have to do guess work if I want my image centred.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.