Narrowband

flat field generator - LED Panel

I'm looking for a flat field generator for my SCT 10". There seem to be plenty of options around £200 but wondering if anyone had a try at simple office flat panels like these: https://trade.ledhut.co.uk/commercial-led-lighting/led-panel-lights/20-watt-led-panel-light-295x295mm-ip40.html which come at a fraction of the cost. Thoughts? 

I like these ideas, I assume we need a daylight colour. 5500k? or is any light that's bright enough to give a flat field ok?

say I have a round led, could I use that over paper for example or would the light need to be more uniform?

42 minutes ago, Emmanuel Marchal said:

I'm looking for a flat field generator for my SCT 10". There seem to be plenty of options around £200 but wondering if anyone had a try at simple office flat panels like these: https://trade.ledhut.co.uk/commercial-led-lighting/led-panel-lights/20-watt-led-panel-light-295x295mm-ip40.html which come at a fraction of the cost. Thoughts? 

Cheap enough so worth a punt, plus you can get a dimmer so saves messing about with sheets of paper.

I built a white plastic box with 4 x dimmable 12 volt halogen bulbs for my 10" SCT but LED panels weren't available all those years ago :grin:

Dave

I have an A3 tracing panel, which operates on a 5v USB connection. It was about £30.

I don't use it any more, as the pwm dimmer can be picked up by a DSLR camera, even at exposures above a few seconds.

Rolling shutter effect.

On 2017-6-23 at 12:03, Jonk said:

I have an A3 tracing panel, which operates on a 5v USB connection. It was about £30.

I don't use it any more, as the pwm dimmer can be picked up by a DSLR camera, even at exposures above a few seconds.

Rolling shutter effect.

What is a pwm dimmer?

pwm dimmer:

Pulse width modulated dimmer.

Power to the led is reduced by the dimmer sending a stream of narrower and narrower pulses, the frequency of these pulses is too fast to be seen by the eye but can be picked up at some dslr shutter speeds.

Michael

1 hour ago, michael8554 said:

pwm dimmer:

Pulse width modulated dimmer.

Power to the led is reduced by the dimmer sending a stream of narrower and narrower pulses, the frequency of these pulses is too fast to be seen by the eye but can be picked up at some dslr shutter speeds.

Michael

ok. makes sense. thanks!

Archived