Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi

After my initial attempt on M101 bk in April i thought i would give another go

This time all 5 min light framesTotal intergration time 2h 50 mins (over 3 nights)

Reason for M101 guiding works better in the west for some reason?? But thats another story2h50-dssinitial-ps01-cropped01.thumb.png.b6c7dadb8c87143f7c6f4de0950e6202.png

Anyway Did use darks, flats and bias frames. With a 450d canon camera.

Telescope 102 APO ES refractor an a AVX mount.

Stacked in DSS  and and "processed" in PS. any tips to improve image greatly accepted :)

Thanks for looking 

Dean

I having being bitting the bullet to get backyard EOS. I am going to bite the bullet! Is it a one off payment or is a annual subscription?. Tried to dither by switching off guiding then moving the camera ever so slightly, before resuming guiding and imaging. Doing this every 5mins is a bit silly! and didnt seem to work :happy6:

How many bias frames do you use? Ithink i used 20

Dean

37 minutes ago, gonzostar said:

I having being bitting the bullet to get backyard EOS. I am going to bite the bullet! Is it a one off payment or is a annual subscription?. Tried to dither by switching off guiding then moving the camera ever so slightly, before resuming guiding and imaging. Doing this every 5mins is a bit silly! and didnt seem to work :happy6:

How many bias frames do you use? Ithink i used 20

Dean

You can try BYE for free and then a one off payment if you want it. I use about 20 usually but probably more is better.

Peter

Thanks for the info will look into both for further info either apt or backyard. Hopefully both easy to use?  Nights are still short and dont want to waste to much time. Especially when nearly 3 hours  are spent on a object. 

Would you suggest re-doing this image without  darks? and using more bias frames

Cheers 

Dean 

I have tried both but preferred BYE but others may disagree. I find BYE really easy to use and, for me, indispensible and they have a great support group. Try it without darks - who knows. If you have Pixinsight you could also do Dynamic Background Extraction.

If I were to use darks, when dithering, the resultant image is really noisey.

Peter

On 22/06/2017 at 20:07, gonzostar said:

Hi

After my initial attempt on M101 bk in April i thought i would give another go

This time all 5 min light framesTotal intergration time 2h 50 mins (over 3 nights)

Reason for M101 guiding works better in the west for some reason?? But thats another story2h50-dssinitial-ps01-cropped01.thumb.png.b6c7dadb8c87143f7c6f4de0950e6202.png

Anyway Did use darks, flats and bias frames. With a 450d canon camera.

Telescope 102 APO ES refractor an a AVX mount.

Stacked in DSS  and and "processed" in PS. any tips to improve image greatly accepted :)

Thanks for looking 

Dean

What ISO did you use? Is the scope still F7 with the flattener? 

Dithering is the way to go with DSLR images but I am guessing allot of your problems with the background noise are with the recent ambient temperatures here in the UK they will have made your 450D allot more noisy. 

Hi Thanks for the feedback Adam  I use iso800, I dont have a flattner at the moment

Peter has also mentioned to me about dithering and i am tempted by backyard EOS. Will try this out shortly. Getting my head around some of the youtube clips about it. 

Its  swings and roundabouts i guess. Nice warm clear evenings, and a camera who doesnt like doing 5 mins exposures! :)   My be winter will be best! its on its way! 

Does the last image i posted appear to be better processed? 

Dean

On 23/06/2017 at 20:16, gonzostar said:

Same pic again,but this time processed without dark frames. Which do you think is better with or without darks?nodarks-2h50-dssinitial-ps01.thumb.png.560f401dd46affb04d5fbef2d4cd0dad.png

I feel that this is the best image it shows the most detail without being overworked. You will struggle to pull out much colour with the noise and the amount of data that you have. 

Archived