Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heads up " The end of the Solar system" Tonight

Timebandit

3 hours ago, Dinglem said:

Hope we get a clear night before then, as wouldn't mind getting the scope out once more.

With around 8 billion years to go , I am sure we will get a clear night for you before then ?

5 hours ago, Timebandit said:

BBC Two at 11.15 this evening 

The story of how our solar system will be transformed by the ageing sun before coming to a spectacular end in around 8 billion years time.

Already planning my move to Titan, for a better view.

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

Europa might be better we have friends there..

Alan

ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA.  ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE........ Quote from 2010: The Year We Make Contact.  Just heeding the warning.

Titan has an atmosphere; by the time the solar system dies, we'll probably have terraformed it. It's also further out, so we'd be safer, for a little while, and Saturn's rings would be a nice backdrop for the Solar implosion.

37 minutes ago, Luna-tic said:

ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA.  ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE........ Quote from 2010: The Year We Make Contact.  Just heeding the warning.

Titan has an atmosphere; by the time the solar system dies, we'll probably have terraformed it. It's also further out, so we'd be safer, for a little while, and Saturn's rings would be a nice backdrop for the Solar implosion.

Looks like Saturn's rings may not be there as the sun expands to a giant red star. Time to build a super size space station I think as a life boat option☺ 

1 hour ago, Timebandit said:

Looks like Saturn's rings may not be there as the sun expands to a giant red star. Time to build a super size space station I think as a life boat option☺ 

The projections I've read say that the Sun will expand past Earth's orbit, but not as far as Mars. It will shuck off clouds of gas and then shrink to a white dwarf, with Mars as the innermost surviving planet. I figure that the vicinity of Saturn might be marginally safe to watch from.

I'm hoping the Enterprise-D will drop by in a Borg-induced time warp and help me launch my warp ship, which I will construct from old Harley-Davidson parts and Estes model rockets.

i would say this is off topic BUT, think we past that a while ago, does anyone else find it weird that in the film, Europa was cited as a life or important planet, only now are we finding out that it just might be...................woooooooooo

Archived