Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunt 20mm HDC

jetstream

I think TV has said that they won't go further than 21 for the 100 degree field so the door is ajar. ES had a go but I've read quite a few mixed things about their 25mm / 100 and it's a £600+ eyepiece here.

Maybe Lunt can step up to the mark ?

Might as well hang onto my Ethos's now that they aren't worth much !

• Like 1

They will take some beating John, quality will always hold its value because the characteristics that make it quality are built in. I had a very bad experience with Lord Voldermort Ludes and personally I wouldn't take their kit if I was paid to use it ? Regardless of their standing.

• Like 2

Well I think it is Skywatcher that is sneaking up the quality on things really- their mirrors are getting some VG reviews these days and I respect David Shen/Synta for bringing astronomy within reach of many. These Synta 100 deg eyepieces might be an indication of more things to come.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Well I think it is Skywatcher that is sneaking up the quality on things really- their mirrors are getting some VG reviews these days and I respect David Shen/Synta for bringing astronomy within reach of many. These Synta 100 deg eyepieces might be an indication of more things to come.

Steve (FLO) told me a while back that Synta could beat the very best if they put their minds / resources to it.

The Esprit triplet refractors encountered a lot of resistance on the CN forum initially but I notice now that they are often recommended as high end options.

• Like 2

It would be great if they redesign the mount of their dobson line, so that it is lighter, smaller and smoother. Plenty of designs are out there already to get inspiration. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pig said:

They will take some beating John, quality will always hold its value because the characteristics that make it quality are built in. I had a very bad experience with Lord Voldermort Ludes and personally I wouldn't take their kit if I was paid to use it ? Regardless of their standing.

Never heard this about ML before.  I always thought his brash cloning of the 30mm Widescan II was classless.  As I recall, he was too cheap to buy a copy himself and asked for a loaner copy on an astro forum.

Is he as bad as Herb York over at Astromart/Anacortes?

15 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

It's a tough one really. We need to know about the  "bad" guys. But, how to make it objective/fair??

I guess that word gets around.....

Paul

Start a Topix thread about ML like the one I linked above to move it off SGL.

19 minutes ago, John said:

My experiences with the supplier mentioned here are positive so a balanced view is important.

Seconded. Never had an issue. Whatever I've bought or wherever in the world I've had it shipped to or needed customer service...

On 14/07/2017 at 16:07, jetstream said:

I'm very interested in your thoughts on this, actually on how deep the 9mm will go. If there is a 10mm BCO available to compare it to it would be nice.

Should you wish to provide said 10mm BCO I should gladly provide options on mailing addresses Gerry ?

I've been hugely impressed with it thus far. Even when used in a 1.6 Antares Barlow with the f4.5 Dob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

Should you wish to provide said 10mm BCO I should gladly provide options on mailing addresses Gerry ?

I've been hugely impressed with it thus far. Even when used in a 1.6 Antares Barlow with the f4.5 Dob

I actually would send you it - but it is one of my deepest eyepieces so I still have an icy grip on it lol! I'm glad you like the Lunt, we are very fortunate to have such a good selection of optics these days.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, admin said:

Pig, Louis D, no supplier bashing please! :police:

My apologies, that was not my intention.... just an exceptionally bad experience that is difficult to forgive.

• Like 1

I never had any issue with Ludes or any other sellers mentioned on SGL. APM-telescopes sent me my Lunt 20mm HDC very quickly and the package was excellent. 

Anyway, I think it is a good time to go back to the topic of this thread! :angel12: So, Gerry, how does this Lunt perform on galaxies under your dark skies? :D 

1 hour ago, Piero said:

So, Gerry, how does this Lunt perform on galaxies under your dark skies? :D 

Really good... I need more time though- there is a nice little 5 galaxy cluster in UMA where one of them is a nice test of things, they are NGC 3998,NGC 3990,NGC3972,NGC 3982 and the tricky NGC 3977.

I'll try the 21E vs the Lunt on this set but the trees are in the way atm lol!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Pig said:

My apologies, that was not my intention.... just an exceptionally bad experience that is difficult to forgive.

You can always post an objective and accurate review of what happened Shaun....?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 17:49, Mark at Beaufort said:

Gerry I will be interested in your review. I can tell you that I did own a 21mm Ethos which I sold - mad decision really. I missed the wide field so I bought a 20mm Myraid which I really rate. In fact I have since bought the 9mm Myriad. Like you I enjoy DSOs and using an O-III on my 12" Revelation Dob and Orion VX8 Newt I cannot complain the views that I get. Certainly for the money the 20mm Myraid is an excellent buy. It will be interesting how close the Lunt is in comparison to the 21E.

How did you find the 9mm Myriad?

• 9 months later...
On 19/07/2017 at 17:53, jetstream said:

Really good... I need more time though- there is a nice little 5 galaxy cluster in UMA where one of them is a nice test of things, they are NGC 3998,NGC 3990,NGC3972,NGC 3982 and the tricky NGC 3977.

You must have a long focal length scope.  I typically use a 13mm or 10mm eyepiece on that group (my scope has an 1825mm focal length).  20-21mm would seem to be a bit low in power.

Since the Ethos comes in 21mm, 17mm, 13mm, 10mm, 8mm, 6mm, 4.7mm, and 3.7mm

while the APM/Lunt HDC XWAs come in 20mm, 13mm, 9mm, 5mm, and 3.5mm. it would appear there is only one focal length in common.

Some enterprising soul needs to acquire a complete set of each and do in-depth comparisons for us all (and don't suggest I do it--I don't get enough observing time in as it is!).

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

Since the Ethos comes in 21mm, 17mm, 13mm, 10mm, 8mm, 6mm, 4.7mm, and 3.7mm

while the APM/Lunt HDC XWAs come in 20mm, 13mm, 9mm, 5mm, and 3.5mm. it would appear there is only one focal length in common.

Some enterprising soul needs to acquire a complete set of each and do in-depth comparisons for us all (and don't suggest I do it--I don't get enough observing time in as it is!).

I did compare the Myriads with Ethos and Pentax XW equivalents (I didn't have the 3.7 or 4.7 Ethos SX at that time). Maybe not detailed enough but the best that I could manage :smiley:. I did try the WO XWA 9mm but though it to be identical to the Myriad 9mm. The question is, are the Myriads related to the APM/Lunt HDC XWA's in any way ?

Anyway here is my little piece on the Myriads:

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, John said:

The question is, are the Myriads related to the APM/Lunt HDC XWA's in any way ?

I believe the HDCs are the same eyepiece as the Myriads but with a different eye cup design and better lens coatings (according to APM).

Edited by Ricochet
  • Like 1

On 19/07/2017 at 20:53, jetstream said:

Hey what happened between the comparison :)