Narrowband

Stellarium 0.16.0

alexwolf

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 13.08.2017 at 22:18, SilverAstro said:

Ah ! sounds good !! Yes that is the method I would have chosen, but stood no chance of implementing !! not being a programer of that capability !!! The best I could have hoped to do was mess with the star names filles but that would (could) cause havoc in the future LOL!

I look forward to having a play with any, all,  implementations :thumbsup:

Since version 0.90.0.9767 Stellarium supports small asterisms by equatorial coordinates of points of the segments (decimal hours for R.A. and decimal degrees for declination on epoch J2000.0).

For example you can see Kemble's Cascade or Kemble's Kite in the last beta.

• 5 months later...

Hi Alex. Can't really report this as a bug - just a bit of a gripe really. When using "find" the cursor will often go straight into the find box, so you can do "CTRL F" (or hit F3 or hit the find icon) and then type the object to find. Sometimes however, CTRL F (or F3 etc)  brings up the find box, but the cursor isnt there - so when you then start typing you get all manner of odd shortcuts which can really muck things up if I'm doing an imaging session.

I'm so used to doing CTRL F - not just in this app - and then just typing the object I'm trying to find, that its difficult to stop myself and check the cursor is in the box. Is there any way to force this on all occasions?

BTW I cant easily see why the cursor sometime does and sometimes doesnt go into the box. Seems as though first time up it doesnt, or if you do find and then cancel and then another find it doesnt, but if you complete a find operation and then F3 again the cursor goes into the field box OK.

Does that make sense?

Cheers

Tom

Hi again Alex. Another problem specific to my setup I'm hoping you can help with. My laptop keyboard CTRL key has broken - neither will work. Tried all sort of things but looks like a hardware issue. Ive recently replaced the keyboard - its a nightmare - so not keen to redo this.

Is there a command in Stellarium other than CTRL +1 for going to target ( same for CTRL+3)?

...But one odd thing.

The current default shirtcuts shows CTRL +1 does: move scope #1 to target. thats fine. but then it shows CTRL +3 does: move scope #3 to target.

But I use CTRL +3 to recentre/sync the scope after a manual realignment. Not sure how thats working?

OK I just read this and loks like the CTRL3 command is working in StellariumScope, not Stellarium.

In S Scope I can choose an alternative number to do the action, but cant see how to change the function key from CTRL to ALT.

Is there any way to do the sync from within Stellarium directly?

Ive been using v15 for a while, missed v16 and tried v17  yesterday, only to find some serious stutters.
My  briefest web search mentions issues regarding the MacBook.

I'm in no rush to detect why, but back to v15 today, smooth as ever for my present needs.

Here's the spec.....

IMG_2625.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hello, I have just joined this group and I hope my question is relevant here.

After a long dormant period I have updated my setup to include Stellarium 15.1 and StellariumScope to PC control a Meade LX 90. Everything works fine indoors. Simulating a telescope setup level and North, selecting a star in Stellarium slews the telescope to what looks like the correct  location. The telescope is in ground position (not astronomical tracking). Stellarium keeps the crosshair centered on the star.

Question is: is Stellarium and StellariumScope now forcing the telescope to track the chosen star or must the telescope be in astronomical mode to track and keep the ocular centered on the star.

Weather has not pemmitted me to test this simple question on a real star. It would help to know for when the skies clear some night...

Thanks.

The Meade Lx90 has an alt-az mount so Stellarium will track an object in a zig-zag motion, as would the mount if controlled by the handset. Stellarium doesn't require Stellariumscope to control the mount, it has its own internal mount drivers for this. Stellariumscope is only needed if you wish to use a third party programme to control the mount, Stellariumscope acts an interface between the two.

Thanks Cornelius for your reply. I will experiment with the direct Stellarium mount control. I infer from your description that after the LX 90 is setup horizontal and North, and then connected to Stellarium, this latter will take over and slew and track the selected objects. That is, Stellarium will keep the eyepiece view centered on the selected object. To put it another way, I keep the LX 90 in terrestial mode and let Stellarium do the job. Sorry for so basic a question but I am having still bad weather and cannot perform this simple experiment myself. Thanks.

Cornelius, finally a clear night ! I was able to use Stellarium to slew and track stars and observe the Orion Nebula. This morning I configured Stellarium for direct telescope control, instead of going through StellariumScope, and it responded satisfactorily indoors.  Next, I will upgrade to Stellarium 17 to stay current. After that, I will try capturing images with Lifecam HD Studio via SharpCam 3.1 and Canon EOS 600. Who said astronomy was dull... Thanks Cornelius.

Archived