Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stellarium 0.16.0

alexwolf

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tommohawk said:

Alex - I downloaded this but on install I get all sorts of virus warnings. I'm sure its OK, but just wondering why this is given I dont normally have a problem with Stellarium installers?

What anti-virus and/or anti-malware are you running that did this, Tom? I had a similar warning regards my Carte du Ciel - which the Malwarebytes I was running had uninstalled without asking me (along with all my settings!). After much discussion, we finally figured it was a 'false-positive.'

I uninstalled Malwarebytes and re-installed Carte du Ciel.

Hope you didn't suffer any losses as a result of what's most likely a similar 'false-positive.'

Dave - off to load Stellarium 0.90.0.9749 ...

I have just downloaded 0.90.0.9749  to give it a whirl :)

but ! from an earlier post by Alex I understood that it could now be run from a new folder without touching the currently installed Stellarium,  on double clicking the exe I find it asks for permission to install ? I was expecting a standalone / portable version. Am I missing something, or is it, I guess, going to install as a new named program in the Windows index of installed/ uninstallable progs.  distinct from the existing one ?

11 hours ago, alexwolf said:

@SilverAstro it's not a portable version, but you can install it in separate directory (e.g. Stellarium Dev)

P.S. Maybe you want to contribute asterisms? ;)

Thank you for the info/guidance much appreciated, I'll do that on the mainHD then rather than on a USBstick.

Oh asterisms, yes what a good idea ! :-

but I might have to appoint a deputy assistant asterism maker :D:laughing4:

Long waffle follows, ---------cut and discard here if too busy :)  ----------

I did in fact do one for Eddie's Coaster in a topic somewhere here on the forum* ( and I have done Davis' Dog as you see in my avatar) but there was zero interest when I asked if anyone would like to see/comment-on my stumbling method :( I dont yet fully understand the inner workings and constellation naming conventions inside Stellarium.

* I'll try to find it again, but I am a mere beginner fumbling in the dark trying to understand how Stellarium does these things out of curiosity. And full of admiration for how you guys make these wonderful programs !

So, for starters here is my first stumble :

I managed to figure out (by bit poking !) that lines were drawn between pairs of HIP named stars ( slight hicup when I initially thought they were HD numbers !) but several of the stars of Eddie's Coaster (in Cassiopeia) do not carry HIP numbers so it ended up as a rather flattened coaster in the pic below ( coaster = Fairground ride as in "Roller coaster")

So my next port of call would have been to see if the star cat. could contain artificial, temporary, made-up names for this purpose ? but then my head began to hurt and I didnt get back to it :) !!

You can see in the pic, I have not yet discovered how to give it its own name so I made it part of Cassiopeia

Aster.jpg.0953f1c9b84ddf160d10f42a45a750c6.jpg

Thanks for more hard work on this Alex + everyone.

When I upgraded I lost all my settings and it overwrote my old ones, I've only recently got everything back how I like it. Can the next version preserve your old settings or is there a way of putting them safe before upgrading?

Also, on my laptop I have hundreds of tiny Ha regions that overwhelm all other DSOs. I can't find where they are coming from, can anyone suggest what plugin/setting I need to disable to take them away?

17 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

When I upgraded I lost all my settings and it overwrote my old ones, I've only recently got everything back how I like it. Can the next version preserve your old settings or is there a way of putting them safe before upgrading?

Please be careful when installer of Stellarium is work - I think you are has ticked an option "Remove the main configuration file" in installer.

17 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Also, on my laptop I have hundreds of tiny Ha regions that overwhelm all other DSOs. I can't find where they are coming from, can anyone suggest what plugin/setting I need to disable to take them away?

Please go to DSO tab in "Sky and viewing options window" (F4) and check used catalogs.

12 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

Sorry I didnt understand that :(  Alt A & V, snapshots  to do what, my HIP naming problem or new constellation name problem ?

Let me show a screenshot - in the future release constellations and asterisms will be in separate layers. We use HIP numbers of stars for the asterisms and constellations to draw the stick figures. I'm sorry, but no special tool for create an asterisms or constellations (but we have this point in our wishlist). The Bookmarks tool (Alt+B) may be partially helpful here, because you can add sequence of stars with HIP numebrs to bookmarks and export this list as JSON file (this file might be opened by any simple text editor like notepad).

stellarium-060.png

20 minutes ago, alexwolf said:

Please be careful when installer of Stellarium is work - I think you are has ticked an option "Remove the main configuration file" in installer.

Please go to DSO tab in "Sky and viewing options window" (F4) and check used catalogs.

Thanks Alexander

5 minutes ago, alexwolf said:

use HIP numbers of stars for the asterisms and constellations to draw the stick figures.

Yes I realised that,  and appreciated that the sticks were good for broad descriptions of large constellations, but did not (using just HIPs ) have the resolution for fine markings of small asterisms.

The other dev.s sound exciting and I will have a play with your suggestions when I have the new one installed, thank you for the info.

3 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

Yes I realised that,  and appreciated that the sticks were good for broad descriptions of large constellations, but did not (using just HIPs ) have the resolution for fine markings of small asterisms.

For small asterisms we plan to use coordinates, but this feature is not implemented yet.

1 minute ago, alexwolf said:

to use coordinates, but this feature not implemented yet.

Ah ! sounds good !! Yes that is the method I would have chosen, but stood no chance of implementing !! not being a programer of that capability !!! The best I could have hoped to do was mess with the star names filles but that would (could) cause havoc in the future LOL!

I look forward to having a play with any, all,  implementations :thumbsup:

I am suggesting to all to be watchful when installing. There is a page that you need to tick-off the boxes to if you wish to retain your settings from version-to-version. I have noted the default (at least for me) is they are already ticked-off to do so. But it didn't use to be the case - and I lost all my settings that time. I know what a pain that is first-hand! But now they come around as ticked-off as the default.

Whether this is a universal default, or just mine as the system remembers my previous setting for this - and is the same for everyone else is unknown to me. So keep your eyes on the screen and don't assume anything: Read! You'll be a happy-camper.

Dave :thumbsup:

27 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

There is a page that you need to tick-off the boxes

Thanks for the warning/caution

You mean that if installing in a new folder one still can affect the primary installation's behaviour by miss-settings in your secondary experimental installation (ie. the new folder is not a playpen, sandpit, cage ?)  - -  that is not logical, think I'll wait a while or practice safe hex by doing it on another computal :(

2 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

Thanks for the warning/caution

You mean that if installing in a new folder one still can affect the primary installation's behaviour by miss-settings in your secondary experimental installation (ie. the new folder is not a playpen, sandpit, cage ?)  - -  that is not logical, think I'll wait a while or practice safe hex by doing it on another computal :(

I have no clue as regards your question - but my advice to 'Read!' is transferrable. Always read the screen whenever installing x,y,z.

Dave

6 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Always read the screen whenever installing x,y,z

But of course, dont we always ! But accidents happen, not just by the nut holding the steering wheel but sometimes by the mechanic.

My point being that if a mistake is made in the new BETA DEV. by whomesoever, in wherever, it could still corrupt your primary baby ! Not good for a testing environment. That is all I was highlighting.

On 8/13/2017 at 02:21, alexwolf said:

P.S. Maybe you want to contribute asterisms? ;)

Edited,  my two asterisms

I have offered to do that twice, once here and once in another area, with zero interest/followup. Thus it would seem that there is little need in the community for this facility.

and I can take a hint !

i installed in another directory because my StellariumScope setup always seems twitchy - however some settings still seemed to get overwritten.

inevitably the start menu gets overwritten as does the shorcut - thats no biggie because you can just locate the original exe and start from there or make a new shorcut from the original exe. The start view and location was overwritten, which isnt too problematic. Maybe I missed a checkbox? The main problem for me is if the sensors and scope and EPs get lost - fortunately that didnt happen.

Anyhow, FWIW I agree that objects / hints now seem to appear with use of the sliders according to their magnitude which is great!

Great work Alex - thanks!

BTW is there a proper place to put things on the wishlist?

Archived