Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is Saturn always low in the sky in the UK or is it just a bad year?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plenty of time to save up for a really big telescope !!!

Interesting re next summer's Mars. The family holiday might be a bit further South than normal...... Now to get the scope down south under the radar....

Paul

Me too.

Mind you talking about the way our movement affects the apparent positioning of skyward objects I remember being quite astonished the other week to see where the plough is now.  In the North West for me currently.  It's clever though how the same stars still point to the North Star!!

The positions of stars and objects and movements are the things that made me getting interested in astronomy a lot, i don't know how far i will go into that, but i hope i will enjoy it as long as i am alive and still can learn and before i reach that point where i can't learn anything, hope for a long long life.

Had some great views of Saturn from the Bristol AS observatory site at Failand nr Bristol a couple of weeks back. The site is 300 feet above sea level but more importantly it has unobstructed E & S horizons. My house is the same altitude but I'm surrounded by other houses so I have to catch the planet as it moves across a gap betwen the houses - I get about 60 minutes of observing if I move the scope a couple of times to get the best angle.

One reason why I've stuck to scopes that can be moved around fairly easily !

3 hours ago, John said:

Had some great views of Saturn from the Bristol AS observatory site at Failand nr Bristol a couple of weeks back. The site is 300 feet above sea level but more importantly it has unobstructed E & S horizons. My house is the same altitude but I'm surrounded by other houses so I have to catch the planet as it moves across a gap betwen the houses - I get about 60 minutes of observing if I move the scope a couple of times to get the best angle.

One reason why I've stuck to scopes that can be moved around fairly easily !

Exactly, who wants to keep polar or 2-star aligning every time you have to move your scope to get a decent view between foliage and buildings?  That also assumes you can see Polaris or two bright stars at the same time.

On 7/9/2017 at 03:33, Victor Boesen said:

Well I'm jealous!

I'm roughly at 30 degrees north and Saturn is easy, but the mosquitos and high humidity make observing all but unbearable right now.  I'm looking at getting a vacation home a bit further north in the mountains of New Mexico to take care of both problems at once.  I'd probably still spend October through March in Texas.

8 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Exactly, who wants to keep polar or 2-star aligning every time you have to move your scope to get a decent view between foliage and buildings?  That also assumes you can see Polaris or two bright stars at the same time.

My scopes are all alt-azimuth mounted and undriven so I can literally just lift them up and move them to a place where the view is clear.

2 minutes ago, John said:

My scopes are all alt-azimuth mounted and undriven so I can literally just lift them up and move them to a place where the view is clear.

Me too.  In fact, I just acquired a DSV-2B as an upgrade to my DSV-1 so I can try out slow motion controls, axis locks, and mounting two scopes at once.

had a look last night. I had to put the dob in the conservatory to get an extra foot of height so I could see over the houses. Wasn't the best of views, but good to see for the first time this year.

cassini division was in and out and there were a couple of moons - must check which ones.

1 hour ago, rockystar said:

had a look last night. I had to put the dob in the conservatory to get an extra foot of height so I could see over the houses. Wasn't the best of views, but good to see for the first time this year.

cassini division was in and out and there were a couple of moons - must check which ones.

Perhaps the easiest software-program to use to find out where the moons are of every planet in our solar-system, at anytime you wish past, present, or future, is Cartes du Ciel. It's always dead-on right for ALL the moons out there in our local neighborhood - as I found by referencing everything I could get my fingers on.

It's FREE - as are - by far - the best programs out there are in my opinion!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/skychart/

Starry Skies -

Dave

5963f94153f99_SaturnMoons.thumb.png.54bbc8044b1bfad888a431010e08be8c.png

I don't know if you know this or not, but if anyone wants to retain a screenshot from Stellarium - click-on <Ctrl. S> This should deposit a screenshot in your Pictures-folder. Caution: If you hold-down 'Ctrl.S' a moment too long, your 'Stars' on your chart will be removed. 'Ctrl.S' again should turn your 'stars' back on. Or use your shortcuts menu on the left of your chart.

Now you might see why I recommended using Cartes du Ciel for finding the moons.....:p

Have fun -

Dave

On 21/06/2017 at 22:47, Charic said:

...for me its Stellarium? its the only way I can see the planets as I don't see anything southerly from my garden, due to my restricted views, unless its as high as a kite, at least +50°.
Southerly views are available only when away from the house. My normal view is between Ursa  Major and Cassiopeia as they orbit the NCP.
Unfortunately  this time of the year precludes any observing when the night sky at 0150 looks like this............Looking North.

IMG_1446.JPG

Looks like a great view of Antares!... or is that a streetlight?....

Archived