SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Old new guy

Luna-tic

Trying to get back into stargazing, I used to be an avid sky watcher when I was much younger. The latest impetus has been the upcoming total solar eclipse in August. I'm along the edge of the path of totality, in the 98% total area. I plan to make my way a bit southwest so I can see the total eclipse. It will be the last opportunity in my lifetime, most likely.  In preparation, I went telescope shopping this past week, with several purposes in mind. One, I'm an avid long-range shooter and needed a good spotting scope, something easily portable that I could see bullet strikes at 500 yards with. Two, I'm an amateur photographer, and wanted something I could use as a standalone prime-focus telephoto with a long focal length. Three, something I could restart my star-gazing with that I could upgrade later. My choice, after lots of review reading and  decision-making about the compromises I had to make to satisfy the above uses, is a Celestron C5 SCT. I also have purchased an Orion EQ mount/tripod with a single axis drive, but I have a good heavy-duty camera tripod for use as a spotting scope. I plan on a few more accessories in the next month or so and would like to hear from the experienced folks their recommendations for versatile add-ons that won't break the bank.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Luna-tic and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

I have no experience of solar photography with an SCT, though it is possible to to make your own full aperture solar filter from solar safety film if you cannot buy one ready made. Just remember to remove it during totallity. If you do have to make one, remember to make of for the finderscope too... if it has one. Other members will offer advice on this.

One useful accessory that will not break the bank and is a must is a dew-shield. Catadiopric telescopes, i.e. Mak's & SCT's are notorious dew magnets. Don't rush to buy a set of eyepieces. Buy them individually as you go. As long as it accepts 1.25" you will be fine. Best advice here would be to join a local astronomy society club/society and take it along to a star party and ask other members what they have and ask. Don't buy or think of a Barlow lens. I find they are not really that useful in my C6 or ETX105, due to the narrow field of view of the 'scope.

Wishing you clear skies and looking forward to seeing some photos of the eclipse. 

Welcome back to stargazing.

I agree with Philip R on all points except joining a local astro club, personally I think it's more rewarding to workout the aspects of astronomy and gear alone with the tips I find online... Clubs are good once you've become comfortable with your gear... Than I might be biased since the one and only time I attended one, when you ask something or make a statement (or attempt to), the precious princesses acted like I was hurting their mothers. :-D So I decided to stick to online like on SGL, much better experience.

Funny story with one chappy.. he was trying to look at the moon, swearing and carrying on, when I started saying "You knw that.." he interrupted , saying "here we go, another one wants to look through the telescope... can you leave please?" .. I said "sure" and walked away... all I wanted to say was "You know you have the cap on?" but all to their own.

3 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Funny story with one chappy.. he was trying to look at the moon, swearing and carrying on, when I started saying "You knw that.." he interrupted , saying "here we go, another one wants to look through the telescope... can you leave please?" .. I said "sure" and walked away... all I wanted to say was "You know you have the cap on?" but all to their own.

Oh dear, sounds like you stumbled upon the worst possible Astro group there! The group I've joined are a very eccentric bunch of very mixed ability  , but suffice to say , the most friendly welcoming warm people you could find....not unlike SGL then !!! And astronomers in general !! 

Thanks for the welcome(s). I have a sheet of the solar safety film, large enough to make filters for the scope, camera lens and viewfinder.  I do want to mix with more experienced people, but I also enjoy the solitude of being "alone with the stars" out in a field somewhere. There is a great astronomy club in my area and a nice amateur observatory just a few miles from my home. Lucille Miller Observatory has public viewings twice a month, and there are some nice telescopes there, including a 25" f/4 Dobsonian.

My EQ mount was delivered today, it's just like Christmas morning! The scope should be here within the week. I have my T-mount for the camera and I'm ready to start getting familiar with setting it up and shooting pictures. I'll have lots of questions, and I'll address them in the proper forum threads. Thanks, everybody.

On 21/06/2017 at 04:40, Philip R said:

Hi Luna-tic and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

I have no experience of solar photography with an SCT, though it is possible to to make your own full aperture solar filter from solar safety film if you cannot buy one ready made. Just remember to remove it during totallity. If you do have to make one, remember to make of for the finderscope too... if it has one. Other members will offer advice on this.

One useful accessory that will not break the bank and is a must is a dew-shield. Catadiopric telescopes, i.e. Mak's & SCT's are notorious dew magnets. Don't rush to buy a set of eyepieces. Buy them individually as you go. As long as it accepts 1.25" you will be fine. Best advice here would be to join a local astronomy society club/society and take it along to a star party and ask other members what they have and ask. Don't buy or think of a Barlow lens. I find they are not really that useful in my C6 or ETX105, due to the narrow field of view of the 'scope.

Wishing you clear skies and looking forward to seeing some photos of the eclipse. 

Agree with the dew shield! And yes, as for eyepieces I've been accruing them slowly through the classifieds on this forum it requires patience but is very cost effective; and the folks on here really look after their stuff so it's a no brainier!

Well, the C5 I had ordered was "not available", even though Amazon said it was. The order has been delayed for at least a week; I got to looking around, and found a site  (OPT) that had NEW C6's for less than I was going to pay for the C5, which was coming direct from Celestron. I thought about it a minute, then canceled the order for the C5, and ordered a C6. It won't overload my mount, uses all the stuff I had also ordered for the C5 (T-mount for my camera), is still usable as a spotting scope (but  not quite as convenient).

Just curious, are most members here from the UK? Seems like every person I've seen post in response, and in almost all the threads I've read, are from the UK. Sorta feeling like  Southern Redneck in King Arthur's Court :icon_biggrin:

46 minutes ago, Luna-tic said:

Just curious, are most members here from the UK? Seems like every person I've seen post in response, and in almost all the threads I've read, are from the UK. Sorta feeling like  Southern Redneck in King Arthur's Court :icon_biggrin:

Yes it is a UK based forum but there are plenty of US and Canadian members... plus lots more from all over the world.  You'll find this forum much more civilized and courteous than certain others! :thumbright:

Archived