Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunt Solar Double Stack

Niall.

The LS50C is a compact double-stacking filter made specifically for the LS50THa telescope. The dimensions allow it to screw straight onto the front of the LS50.

The LS50FHa is a general double-stacking filter for larger diameter telescope than the LS50THa. The dimensions allow it to screw straight onto the 60mm LS60 I believe. It would be to big for the LS50. Remember that you can double stack a LS60 with either a 50mm or 60mm DS unit.

If you look carefully at the online images then you will notice the border (with lunt lettering) around the 50mm central red lens is wider on the white LS50FHa.

https://luntsolarsystems.com/product/lunt-ls50fha-solar-filter/

https://luntsolarsystems.com/product/lunt-ls50c-double-stack-filter/

HTH,

Alan

Thanks a mil for your helpful reply Alan!

I've a follow on dumb question... :)

Why would one use a 50mm external filter to double stack a 60mm solar scope?  It seems like the aperture would be stopped down, negatively impacting resolution and brightness of the image - for visual use??  In other words what's the advantage of the LS60T compared to an LS50T for visual use if both are double stacked with a front mounted 50mm etalon?

Sorry for my ignorance here :icon_redface:

Correctamundo! Why indeed...??

the aperture reduction to 50mm should make the result identical to a ls50 double stack aside from the larger blocking filter that comes with the ls60.

when I bought my ls60 double stack from Ian king imaging, he said that he had had complaints of lack of brightness in the image from people who had stacked a 50mm double stack on the front of the ls60. He said no-one had ever complained who had stacked a 60mm double stack on the ls60!! So I went with that and spent the extra.

the 60mm double stack ls60 is phenomenal for sure. It should last a lifetime...

the only other thing you may need is a "rotator" so you can rotate the ds to find the sweet spot for the conditions. There is a m90 threaded "rotator" readily available the screws on the ls60, don't know if one is available for the smaller ls50?

there is a pic of my setup in the solar section, in a thread called "show us your solar equipment". On page 3 or 4. I list all the bits and bobs under the pic.

Alan

Thanks a mil @alanjgreen I appreciate your very helpful responses.

I looked through a double stacked Lunt with the LS50FHa and was completely blown away by it.  I'm trying to figure out how to fund one of these setups sometime! :)

Archived