SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eclipse 2017 USA..... "Don't forget !!"

well...I did....  doh !!

Hello there,

A few weeks back somebody posted a message reminding anybody going to the states for the eclipse this year, not to forget a certain piece  of documentation.

( I think it was to do with crossing US/Canadian borders....)

Does anybody know where this post is. ??     I have tried searching "eclipse"  "2017"  "Heads-up"   etc  and cannot seem to find it.

Hopefully I might get out to see the event,  and it would be a shame to mess it up with an admin irregularity.

Many thanks,

Sean.

If you travel to the US from Britain (or many other countries) you will need a valid, machine readable passport, and you must fill out an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)  application (here). Do this as soon as possible (it can take some days to process). I am not aware that extra paperwork is needed for crossing the US/Canadian border.

Cheers everybody....  I think it was both the ETA and ESTA that I was unaware of, I have never roamed Stateside, only in Europe.      

I will get onto it ASAP pronto.....

Once again, many thanks.

Sean

I was in Florida a few weeks back and I seem to recall the ESTA costing around £14. The Canadian ETA is a little cheaper I think. You can do both online.

Don't get caught out by intermediary sites which charge you an additional fee - you can get them without this direct from the US and Canadian official websites.

I did a trip to Canada from the UK a couple of years ago and crossed into the USA by car.  Although it appeared that I might not need to I did complete and pay online for ESTA for myself and kids before we left.  Whilst not absolutely required this saved much time and aggravation at the Canada/USA border when I told them that I had done this.  They found my application and there was very little left to pay (though there was a little so certainly do cross with some dollars in cash).   Brings back good memories this does - what a once in a lifetime trip that was.......

Archived