SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best Aids For Astro - Any To Add?

cloudsweeper

I don't mean great 'scopes and top-of-range EPs, but rather the extra add-ons, features, techniques etc. that really help the hobby along.

A few come to mind (in no particular order):

# aperture (8" max at present; 12" at planning stage)

# Stellarium (an enormous boon for showing then confirming targets)

# averted vision (great for faint objects and elusive detail)

# SGL (the information, support, encouragement, sharing, and humour that goes on is priceless)

# a supportive wife (who tolerates the clutter in the house, the expenditure, and the excited blabbering after an observation)

So what would other SGL-ers place in this category?

Doug.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best thing I ever bought was a RA camera viewfinder like this 

5949024490aa6_Seagullrightanglefinder-7.jpg.d6bcfa2b319f0e4330d24e6f141827cd.jpg

I use it for looking through a polarscope or any straight finder, no need to fix it in place, its just held in position. The result is no more bad backs or wet knees :icon_biggrin:

The second thing for any 6V mount is to power it from cheap mobile phone battery banks.

Alan

Bumping the tripod :wink:  - the eye is excellent at detecting movement, so if you are not sure whether you can see a faint fuzzy tap the scope and it should help pick it out

A stool (preferably height adjustable) - much more relaxing and seems to encouraging longer observing rather than just looking

Helen

Good topic and starter list Doug and the tolerant wife is crucial. To add two,

Some flexibility with time - being able to make the most of those occasional great clear skies, without becoming too hindered by work the following day etc.

Occasional exposure to dark skies

I'm sure that there are many more suggestions to follow.

A good method for finding objects. It took me a long time to refine my finding technique, with many sessions ending in a failure to find a particular object. I use a Telrad with S&T Pocket Atlas mostly though I will also star hop using SkySafari on my phone as a guide too. 

48 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

A good method for finding objects. It took me a long time to refine my finding technique, with many sessions ending in a failure to find a particular object. I use a Telrad with S&T Pocket Atlas mostly though I will also star hop using SkySafari on my phone as a guide too. 

Yes Neil - we develop methods that suit us alright! 

I operate using the circles (4, 2, 0.5 deg) on Stellarium, plus a knowledge of the TFOV I can see (which I have on a handy table, along with the mag for each EP).  Using the RACI finder (5 deg) can also help, especially as it gives magnification and light-gathering (unlike the Telrad).

When not using Stellarium, like you I refer to the Pocket Sky Atlas, along with a clear sheet with circles (5, 1.5 deg) drawn on it.

Doug.

Experience !

The more experience you have, the easier it becomes to find things because you have seen similar things before and when you do find the target experience helps to get the most out of it.

Each time you use a scope, even if it's not a great session, it's adding to your experience :icon_biggrin:

48 minutes ago, John said:

Experience !

The more experience you have, the easier it becomes to find things because you have seen similar things before and when you do find the target experience helps to get the most out of it.

Each time you use a scope, even if it's not a great session, it's adding to your experience :icon_biggrin:

Good one, John - also its close relation Patience!

Doug.

A Red Dot Finder/Telrad/Rigel combined with a RACI finder (and SkySafari Plus or Pro with the finder's TFOV added)

Not to wait for the perfect sky or the perfect place - just go out, when it's clear; there is always something to look at (e.g. preparing star hopping routes in moonlit nights)

A lightweight grab-and-go set (frac with a 24-8 mmf zoom, stored indoors)

Refining your home observing site (light shields; shed; ramps; observing chair...., for me, always in progress). There was a very interesting article on this on the CloudyNights forum by Roland Beard (08/09/07); can't find it at the moment, sorry.

Stephan

2 hours ago, John said:

35 minutes ago, Nyctimene said:

Not to wait for the perfect sky or the perfect place - just go out, when it's clear; there is always something to look at

I love both of these. I've often gone out and failed to find what I was looking for or just had "wobbly" views of Jupiter but it was always fun and a good learning experience!

1 hour ago, Nyctimene said:

Not to wait for the perfect sky or the perfect place - just go out, when it's clear; there is always something to look at

This it what I would vote as number 1, if its clear then make the most of it.

A great thread, from my experience of imaging:

1. Guiding, the single biggest breakthrough towards acquiring a half decent result.

2. A proper dark sky, on LRGB it's like spending a four figure sum on equipment.

Archived