SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SW Mounts

Hi,

Trying to get my head around the differences in the SW mounts. The HEQ5 and NEQ6 are the basically the same mounts with SynScan but the 6 has a higher pay load ?

I don't understand the differences between the EQ ones ? and what's different on these compared to the HEQ5 and NEQ6 ?

Yup it's all to do with the load capacity.There is also some slight differences in appearance with the two you mentioned plus some of the other models SW make can also be used in alt/az mode aswell.

Fairly simple until they bring out something in the "middle".

The bigger the number the greater the load they will handle, so in load terms 2 < 3-2 < 5 < 6 < 8.

4 gets mentioned occasionally (usually not  a SW however) but images look a lot like the 3 and don't think there ever has been a 7.

The HEQ5 seems to have been to fit between the EQ5 and the EQ6. Simply appears there was a hole in mount capacities so they filled it, but no "spare" number. It is either a Heavy EQ5 or a Light EQ6. The HEQ5 was the one in the "middle".

Not sure about the "N" as in NEQ6, memory seems to say that the EQ6 simply "morphed" into the NEQ6. I am sure I can recall seeing EQ6's then it became NEQ6 - maybe the internals altered, but I think it remained much the same. Think you could select EQ6 or NEQ6 at one time. So likely that "N" simply rferred to "New", trouble is you can only do that once.

Having said the above if considering getting an EQ mount that does not read as a Skywatcher, especially used, then get a look at it first, simple picture of it. Only say this as the EQ3-2 is one where I have seen EQ3 mentioned and that does not appear to have the capacity of the EQ3-2 and it bears a fair resemblance to the EQ2.

Similar on the EQ4, have seen them and they again look a lot like the EQ3-2. However generally they are not referred to as Skywatcher, who at least seem fairly consistant in their naming and loading convention.

The original EQ6 had tracking and ST4 port but no "goto". When the newer "NEQ6" was born it had goto and the "NEQ6 Pro" had a few extras like upgraded power socket and weight bar extension. The EQ5 was the first in the range to have a steel legged tripod (earlier models had flimsier alluminium tripods) and the HEQ5 was the "H"eavy duty version of the EQ5 - it had goto and better tracking than the EQ5. The EQ5 is available with tracking only - or tracking and goto. :)

3 hours ago, ronin said:

Fairly simple until they bring out something in the "middle".

The bigger the number the greater the load they will handle, so in load terms 2 < 3-2 < 5 < 6 < 8.

4 gets mentioned occasionally (usually not  a SW however) but images look a lot like the 3 and don't think there ever has been a 7.

The HEQ5 seems to have been to fit between the EQ5 and the EQ6. Simply appears there was a hole in mount capacities so they filled it, but no "spare" number. It is either a Heavy EQ5 or a Light EQ6. The HEQ5 was the one in the "middle".

Not sure about the "N" as in NEQ6, memory seems to say that the EQ6 simply "morphed" into the NEQ6. I am sure I can recall seeing EQ6's then it became NEQ6 - maybe the internals altered, but I think it remained much the same. Think you could select EQ6 or NEQ6 at one time. So likely that "N" simply rferred to "New", trouble is you can only do that once.

Having said the above if considering getting an EQ mount that does not read as a Skywatcher, especially used, then get a look at it first, simple picture of it. Only say this as the EQ3-2 is one where I have seen EQ3 mentioned and that does not appear to have the capacity of the EQ3-2 and it bears a fair resemblance to the EQ2.

Similar on the EQ4, have seen them and they again look a lot like the EQ3-2. However generally they are not referred to as Skywatcher, who at least seem fairly consistant in their naming and loading convention.

There has been an EQ7:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rrUwe3Se3Q

No idea if they are still available, though...

On 2017-6-21 at 04:25, TareqPhoto said:

To me i feel or i consider that AZ-EQ6 or EQ6-R = EQ7

I have seen it in reality... absolutely not the same, but I think it is not in production anymore.

Replaced by the 8

On 6/22/2017 at 11:21, Waldemar said:

I have seen it in reality... absolutely not the same, but I think it is not in production anymore.

Replaced by the 8

Ah ok, i should guess that EQ7 long time ago produced is to be higher than EQ6 any version, you are right, AZ-EQ6 is still EQ6 version but at the highest level of EQ6.

I wished to buy EQ8, but the price killed me, and i felt that EQ8 will be overkill for me if i buy smaller scopes only, in the future after few years when i start if i want a better mount for better scope i can think about one.

I find the biggist difference between my eq6 and heq5 is weight differerence ie when you want to move it the heq5 is a lot easyer to handle with my gammy knees, as about max load ive had my solar duel setup on both and its about 10kg "over weight for imaging with the heq5" and thay perform the same, the motors on the heq5 are a tiny bit noiseyer when slewing. clear skys, charl.

I am thinking to get another mount in the future regardless i still didn't use mine i bought 2 months ago, it is very heavy and i still learning about it in my bedroom upstairs then i will take it downstairs for long time then, but i still think it will be a pain taking it outdoor then indoor every night, i will think about a lighter weight mount but still good load capacity.

1 hour ago, TareqPhoto said:

I am thinking to get another mount in the future regardless i still didn't use mine i bought 2 months ago, it is very heavy and i still learning about it in my bedroom upstairs then i will take it downstairs for long time then, but i still think it will be a pain taking it outdoor then indoor every night, i will think about a lighter weight mount but still good load capacity.

So what did you buy ?

Dave

As Waldemar mentioned above the iOptron iEQ45 is a very light mount for the carrying capacity.

I think the 45 part is supposed to be the carrying capacity but it's a bit optimistic, I have one and it struggles once getting near 30lbs.

The mount head in a case can be carried easily in one hand and the tripod in the other, if you make a bag for the weights they can be carried in one hand.

Dave

On 2017-6-23 at 17:26, TareqPhoto said:

Like I said before: Check out the iOptron iEQ45Pro....

5 hours ago, Waldemar said:

Like I said before: Check out the iOptron iEQ45Pro....

Ok, is it same as let's say EQ5 or better? i mean having same capacity load? i hope it will be lighter than EQ5 or equivalent, I will read about it more.

Thank you very much!

Archived