Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A miserable night

George

Last night didn't go to plan, I was desperate to image....anything :clouds2: after months of this carp weather. Anyhow I'd preset up the ED80 for some widefield of Andromeda, forecast was for a window when it was high enough to get some decent shots. The weather window came 2 hours early so I gave NGC 6992/95 (veil Neb) a shot, managed 5 x 3.5min subs when there was an almighty screaming noise from the EQ6, the blumming newly tided up cables had snagged causing a stall. I went into the house to brew up and calm down, came out 10 Min's later and it was plissing down, yep you guessed the obsy was filling up with water everything got a good dousing except the PCs as they were still under the partly drawn roof.

All in all a pretty disastrous end to this miserable 2 week break I have had from work :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Oh and to top it all I got aircraft trails in every image :x :x and the camera was orientated N/S instead of E/W so i only got part of it in :)

Only thing that went well was the guiding, it went perfectly for once.

veil.jpg

Despite all of the problems George I think it's a pretty good image. The aircraft lights didn't go across the subject which is good - and like you say, the guiding must have been pretty darn good by the way those stars look. :thumbright:

Ooh - rubbish nights.. been there my friend! Went out one evening not so long back, was taking images, consistently forgot to flip my flip mirror back on long exposures (not even usable as dark frames of course!), got 3/4 hour in with poor tracking on every shot (before my guider - All hallowed be its name), was manually setting the exposures and came to check what I had taken to see nothing on the DSLR screen and looked up to see that it had clouded over without me noticing...(There are words for people who do that...). Oh, and I dropped a counterweight on my foot while I was breaking down.

We should start a thread for rubbish nights and male chicken ups!

Lovely images btw with a bit of cropping! I'm thinking about buying an antiaircraft gun! (green laser pointers... noooo... whoever would suggest such a thing...! :clouds2:

I feel for you George :clouds2:

What you have captured looks really nice though, and bodes well for the future, if it ever clears!

I've just finished a 2 week break from work too, off again tomorrow so no doubt it'll all clear up nicely!

Cheers

Rob

I think we've all had nights like that George.

However, I think your pic is great. the modded canon has really picked up the brightness of the nebulosity, and its a great section.

If you add in some darks the amp glow in the corner will go, and some flats will help with the contrast. Even though its not ideal you can add those at any time, even when its raining :) and they should make a big difference.

Onwards and upwards eh?

:clouds2:

TJ

Look at it this way George at least you got a useable image. I didnt get rained on but the clouds came early here as well.

Just had enough time to calibrate the mount, had a look at M57 through a new ep then it dissappeared, cloud everywhere. Still it gives us all some practice setting up and taking down again :clouds2:

Archived