Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Deneb Region

Allinthehead

Hi everyone.

With the fantastic weather i managed to get out three nights in a row. Friday night i grabbed 2 hrs of Ha. Saturday night i got 1.5 hrs of Oiii. Sunday night i figured out my Ha, and Oiii astrodon filters are not parfocal leading to a waste of data. Anyway i got enough for now. My spacing is still out by about 1mm so not quite where i want to be with it. I first processed this as a HOO image, but i didn't fancy it, so i googled some methods and found one where you make a synthetic green layer and use duplicated Hue/saturation layers with clipping masks and somehow i ended up where i did.

So this is 2 hrs of ha in 30 second subs and 1.5 hrs of Oiii in 30 second subs.

Samyang 135, captured with a zwo asi 1600.

Processed in photoshop

Stacked in Dss.

I hope you like.

Richard.

59482bb634fbf_Northregionhaoiii3.thumb.jpg.eac3da37d57a194a394c8f3b558cfed2.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, ultranova said:

Wow... That's impressive... Must have been a challenge to process...

Looks like the samyang and 1600mm are a good combination

Well done

Paul

Thanks Paul. Yes i enjoyed it regardless. I feel you can be a bit more creative with narrowband.

50 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Oh my word :grin::eek:.

That's awesome. I'm on my 'phone ATM so can't do it justice. Will have a propper looke tomorrow on my work computer. Naughty boy!

Thanks Dave. It's quite bold and well, orange. I'll post the HOO version tomorrow. See what you think. On second thoughts you should be working.

Its called the Cannistra method mate ;) but you've chosen a different selective colour balance to what I normally use (I go for blue & red).

One thing you might want to try (on a Ha Lum layer) is to layer in points of interest that you may have shot at a longer focal length (ie: the pelican, wall, etc) just to crispen them up a bit - it depends on how many years worth of data you have hanging about. But add it as blend mode lighten only, you dont want to be adding resampled stars from a different telescope, its not a pretty look!

That is gorgeous, Richard! Very nice!

I have a friend here that has a collection of the older lenses with 42 mm screw on mountings.

He uses them attached to his Astro Cameras to take images of the night skies.

I'm thinking about trying that myself because the cameras are entirely electronic, and no shutter mechanisms to wear out. (I've put over 87,000 operations on my DSLR in about 3 years.)

Lately I've been running Sequences with my telescope and camera. But it isn't wide field.

So I'm looking at making my camera lenses mount to my CCD camera.

8 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Its called the Cannistra method mate ;) but you've chosen a different selective colour balance to what I normally use (I go for blue & red).

One thing you might want to try (on a Ha Lum layer) is to layer in points of interest that you may have shot at a longer focal length (ie: the pelican, wall, etc) just to crispen them up a bit - it depends on how many years worth of data you have hanging about. But add it as blend mode lighten only, you dont want to be adding resampled stars from a different telescope, its not a pretty look!

Thanks. I have data from May i could use. Would i need registar or other such software?

8 hours ago, al-alami said:

That is a beautiful shot, loving the detail.

Thanks al-alami.

7 hours ago, SonnyE said:

That is gorgeous, Richard! Very nice!

Thanks Sonny. Certainly a different set of challenges getting a lens working well especially a fast one. 

Now seen it on my works computer, it looks even better than on my 'phone. Looking forward to the HOO version.

Back end of the summer term is usually quiet, as the year 11 and 13 are away on study leave, and most of the rest are going through test / exam results.

Stunning image with superbly original framing. (We could call it The Atlantic Ocean Variation...)

This is clearly a mighty camera-optics combo and is ideal for NB where the targets and structures available are so vast. I can see it revitalmizing the spirits of often cloudbound imagers.

I'd guess that it will probably be the lens which is causing the non parfocality, or contributing to it.

Olly

9 hours ago, DaveS said:

Now seen it on my works computer, it looks even better than on my 'phone. Looking forward to the HOO version.

Back end of the summer term is usually quiet, as the year 11 and 13 are away on study leave, and most of the rest are going through test / exam results.

Thanks Dave. Nice to have quite time at work.

8 hours ago, RichLD said:

Very nice, well done sir! :icon_biggrin:

Thanks Rich.

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Stunning image with superbly original framing. (We could call it The Atlantic Ocean Variation...)

This is clearly a mighty camera-optics combo and is ideal for NB where the targets and structures available are so vast. I can see it revitalmizing the spirits of often cloudbound imagers.

I'd guess that it will probably be the lens which is causing the non parfocality, or contributing to it.

Olly

Thanks Olly, I thought it looked continental and i suspect you're right about the filter.

3 minutes ago, DaveS said:

The thing that struck me was how three dimensional it looks, especialy on the right hand side.

I find using Noel Carboni's star reduction helps achieve that. I think i gave it three passes. What do you think of the HOO version?

I like them both. As I thought, the HOO shows the HII regions as redder than the first version, with the [OIII] coming up as pale. blue-green.

The dust lanes in the lower right makes the HII look like a mountain range.

Are you going to get any [SII]?

8 minutes ago, DaveS said:

I like them both. As I thought, the HOO shows the HII regions as redder than the first version, with the [OIII] coming up as pale. blue-green.

The dust lanes in the lower right makes the HII look like a mountain range.

Are you going to get any [SII]?

No Sii filter I'm afraid. I think it might be worth doubling the ha and oiii data as there's loads of noise.

18 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

I really like the HOO version Richard - very striking.  This lens is being used more frequently and yoour great image illustrates why it is becoming so successful.  Top drawer.

Thanks Barry. Quality lens i'll definitely pick up another. Mine was delivered to my door next day for 380 euro, bargain.

1 hour ago, toxic said:

this is very nice indeed whats not to like :thumbright:

Thanks Chris 

Archived